6. Age 14, Journey to Peshawar

Two hours had passed since Arslan decided to write a letter for his little sister, but much to his dismay, he still couldn't think of anything to write.

Arslan groaned, tossing the quill in his hand to the desk. "Ugh, what should I write?" He wondered out loud, propping his chin against his palm as he stared at the small empty paper, "I can't make it too long, since Asa hates beating around the bush. But I can't be too direct, too..."

Arslan leaned back on his chair, closing his eyes tiredly. 'But now that I think about it again, sending letters via Soroush means I have to make it short and direct, isn't it?'

Arslan stopped for a moment, and then slowly straightened up on his chair. He took the quill again, dipping its tip into ink and prepared to write. "Okay, here goes..."

But suddenly, his chamber door was knocked from outside.

Arslan stopped his hand and took a deep breath. "Come in..." he said while looking at the door.

The door then opened, revealing Vahriz behind it. "Pardon my intrusion, but Denka, it's time for your swords training."

"Oh... right, huh?" Arslan stated flatly, glancing outside the window. The sun was shining quite harshly right now, meaning now probably was already noon. "Sorry, let me tidy this first."

Vahriz walked inside and stopped beside Arslan's desk, observing it. "Hoo, writing a letter, Denka?" he asked amusedly.

Arslan nodded. "I know Asa had just departed, but I'm thinking of sending her a letter," he laughed awkwardly, "It has been hours since I started but I still can't think of anything..."

Vahriz didn't respond, instead he looked like he was deeply musing. This made Arslan tilt his head to the side in wonder. "Is something wrong, Vahriz?"

The Eran was still silent. "No, nothing at all. When I saw Denka, I thought of sending my old friend a letter, too," he eventually said to Arslan, "His name is Bahman. He lives in Peshawar."

"Heeh, is that so?" Arslan murmured to himself.

Vahriz nodded back before turning around and walking away. "When you had done, Denka, if it's okay with you may I send my letter alongside yours?"

"Huh? Oh, sure!" Arslan nodded rigidly, "...but Vahriz, how are you gonna write it?"

"Not direct, but not too long. Also not so formal, since it's a letter for a friend," Vahriz replied, which Arslan agreed with, "I will roll and put it inside a box, so it won't be damaged while inside the messenger's bag."

'Letting a messenger deliver it instead of Soroush... how could I not think about it?' Arslan mentally slapped himself, 'That way I don't have to worry about its length... but realizing it just make me more confused...'

"Denka, are you done yet?" Vahriz called Arslan from outside his room, snapping him out of his mind. "Oh, yes! Just hang on a minute!" Arslan chimed back, pushing the chair in and rushing out of his room.

○○○

Meanwhile with Asa, the princess was busy reading books inside the steady moving carriage.

Bahar was sitting across her, closing her eyes as always. "...Hime-sama," she called, breaking the comfortable silence between them, "Are you really fine with doing that?"

"Doing what?" Asa asked indifferently, not taking her bespectacled eyes off of her thick book.

"Not waking Denka up," Bahar opened her eyes as she replied casually, "You two will be separated for three months, after all."