It's All In The Family

Start from the beginning

Yoda's voice was becoming increasingly weaker. "Luke, when gone am I the last of the Jedi will you be." Yoda paused taking a breath. He turned away from Yoda and stared at nothingness. Luke soaked in the thought of being the last Jedi in the whole galaxy. He was already beginning to feel the weight of those words.

"Luke." Yoda beckoned him. Luke looked back to his master and listened closely. "The Force runs strong in your  family. Pass on what you have learned." He instructed. Luke nodded softly slowly, but still concentrated on his masters words. Luke could feel Yoda's Force signature slowly slipping away. He saw Yoda gather all the strength he had left. "Luke...There is... another...Sky...Sky...walker." With that Yoda took one last breath and closed his eyes, peacefully. He was gone.

Luke's eyes widened at the information that was just revealed to him. His mouth dropped as he tried to process his masters last words. Luke looked back down at his masters lifeless body. He smiled sadly. He would miss him very much. Yoda's body disappeared right before Luke's eyes. He knew Yoda was with the Force.

Luke went around the house and blew out the candles, that had lit up the small hovel. There was a mournful silence that hung in the air. Luke looked over and saw his masters small cane. He picked it up and looked at it. He smiled and decided to take it with him. Luke walked out of his masters house and stared at it. Another friend, gone. Another chapter closed. Luke looked down and walked to his ship.

He saw Artoo working on the motivator. Luke looked into the distance, thinking. Artoo beeped and whistled at Luke. Luke raised his eyebrows at the droid and looked down at what he was working on. He squatted next to his little friend, putting his hand on the ship. Luke began to inspect it, but suddenly felt an overwhelming feeling of loneliness and despair.

He looked at the droid and shook his head. "I can't do it, Artoo." He stood up leaned on his ship. "I can't go on alone." He concluded. "Yoda will always be with you." A familiar voice said. Luke looked up and saw Ben's ghost. "Obi-Wan." He said in surprise.

He walked in front of his former master. "Why didn't you tell me?" Luke spoke, asking the question he had so badly wanted answered. Obi-Wan approached Luke. "You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father." Luke said. "You father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I have told you was true... from a certain point of view." Ben told him.

Luke couldn't believe the excuse his master was using. He had trusted him. He never should had lied, nor should he have been trying to justify what he did. "A certain point of view!" Luke exclaimed. "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend
greatly on our own point of view." Ben told the young man.

Luke shook his head in disgust. "I don't blame you for being angry. If I was wrong in what I did, it certainly wouldn't have been for the first time. You see, what happened to your father was my fault." Ben admitted. Luke looked at him in confusion. His father's fate had been Ben's fault? How? Ben sat down on a stump.

"Anakin was a good friend." His old master seemed to stare off into the distance as if going back to cherished time. He looked back to Luke. Luke went over to his master and sat down next to him. "When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was
amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. My pride has had terrible consequences for the galaxy." Ben said sadly.

"There's still good in him." Luke assured his master. Ben sighed. "I also thought he could be turned back to the good side. It couldn't be done. He is more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

Luke shook his head. "I can't do it, Ben." "You cannot escape your destiny." His teacher told him. "I tried to stop him once. I couldn't do it." Luke said. "Vader humbled you when first you met him, Luke... but that experience was part of your training. It taught you, among other things, the value of patience. Had you not been so impatient to defeat Vader then, you could have finished your training here with Yoda. You would have been prepared." Ben told Luke.

"I had to help my friends." Luke argued. Ben smiled at Luke understandingly. "And did you help them? It was they who had to save you. You achieved little by rushing back prematurely, I fear." "I found out Darth Vader was my father." Luke said. "To be a Jedi, Luke, you must confront and then go beyond the dark side - the side your father couldn't get past." Ben told him. Luke looked down.

"Impatience is the easiest door for you,...like your father. Only, your father was seduced by what he found on the other side of the door, and you have held firm. You're no longer so reckless now, Luke. You are strong and patient. And now, you must face Darth Vader again." Luke shook his head. "I can't kill my own father." Ben sighed. "Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."

Luke thought of an idea. "Yoda spoke of another." Ben nodded. "The other he spoke of is your twin sister." Luke looked at Ben in confusion. "But I have no sister." "To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous."

Luke furrowed his eyebrows and looked down as Ben was talking. Who could could she be? Where could she be? He searched his earliest feelings and memories, with the Force. He remembered a feeling of peace, and...family. Then he remembered a feeling of turmoil and distress, but it was covered up by something light. He could feel her worry, but tried to comfort her as well.

Then he remembered feeling whole and happy, but soon the happiness was gone again. And this time he was completely alone. He felt great despair, fear and worry. It was as if he had been ripped in half.

Then he realized, she was no longer with him. Her innocent light and comforting company was gone. His sister was gone. She had been taken away from him and he from her. Even as a small baby Luke could feel her familiar and comforting Force signature. Luke began to remember feeling the same thing somewhere else, but where and by who? Luke concentrated and focused until it all snapped into place.

"Leia! Leia's my sister." Luke exclaimed. Ben smiled. "Your insight serves you well." Luke felt over joyed. He hadn't realized how much he had missed her. Yes he had been with her, but he hadn't known. "Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit. But they could be made to serve the Emperor." Ben told him.

Luke nodded and soon felt worried and panicked. He couldn't let anything happen to Leia. He wouldn't let the Emperor hurt her. He couldn't risk Leia turning to the dark side. It was up to him. He would have to confront Vader now, for Leia's sake.

Luke then began to feel curious. He knew who is father was and his sister, but what about his mother? "Ben? What of my mother? How did she die? And...who was she?" Ben sighed. "Luke, I think it is best if we save this subject for another time. I worry that the burden of the information will be too much for you to handle. Please, have patients. You will soon be ready to know everything." Luke was disappointed, but understood. He nodded.

After talking with Ben Luke got in his ship and headed off to meet up with the fleet. He couldn't wait to see his friends again. And to see his sister.