Chapter 42: Plan That Backfired

Start from the beginning

Well, that was Edward's father.

Older version of that kind of child.

Nikolas could swear that the two somehow switched their sons, yet the blonde hair Edward had proved him wrong. When you would see that bulky guy with tattoos on his head and earing on his right ear and that elegant hey standing by each other, you would've imagined that they were your typical rivals that couldn't stand each other. Yet, those two were best friends with his father, like triplets, actually.

"Big trouble, Nik!" were the first words he said and Nikolas groaned, as if he didn't have enough to worry about already.

"Dani..." Nikolas began to say, but his friend interrupted him while Kaley only stared at him in confusion.

He actually wondered if those two knew about their sons dating.

"Vincent has been kidnapped!" Closing his eyes, he let a loud exhale on his own in the dead silence where only the ringing of his phone could be heard.

And then scream. From his sister, who just realized the serenity of those words. Her father had been kidnapped and Nikolas wanted to applaud Daniel for saying it in front of her. He truly had no common sense, did he?

"I guess I was not meant to say that, sorry Kaley — I didn't see you," he turned to her and Nikolas wondered just what else could happen today to ruin his life.

"D-Dad has been..." she began before turning to Nikolas who only impassively stared at her, ignoring the obvious ringing of his phone before her gaze turned into a glare.

Fine, he'll answer.

Taking out his phone and bringing it close to his ear, he answered.

"Nikolas speaking, how can I help you?"

"We meet again, you little piece of shit!" Ah, he knew the voice on the other side of that call.

"Technically we haven't met again seeing as we're just talking on the phone, so that statement is invalid." He had no time to deal with that fucker, so he was as blunt as one could be. He didn't give a damn about someone so pent-up on getting a revenge for being ditched on the hot chat, especially when he had Vincent to find. He truly hoped to be able to go to sleep and get some rest, yet every single one of them...

"I'm calling the shots here, brat!"

"Why would I have to answer to anything you say, you perverted old fart? And where did you even get my phone number? Did you stalk me? That's illegal, you know?" He couldn't believe the audacity of the guy, what the fuck was wrong with him? Why was he so focused on ruining Nik's life? What has he ever done to deserve that kind of suffering?

"Oh, I see that your apartment wasn't enough of a lesson to you," the moment he heard those words, his eyes widened. So it was that fucker who did it? Or course, he threatened to kill him so why was Nikolas so surprised now?  How come he forgot to include him in the list of potential culprits?

"So it was you, you asshole?" he asked just to confirm it while those four around him, with Alis still who knows where, stared at him in confusion.

"What do you mean by that? I left my signature with that message behind the front doors, didn't you read it?"

"Sorry, the doors were broken down so I didn't bother checking to see if anything was written over them. My bad." Yes, Nikolas' favorite game was let's-crush-down-people's-egos-and-laugh-in-their-face, and he was quite good at it.

"Y-you little!" Nikolai began to curse on the other line in his native, Russian language while Nikolas' lips slowly curled into a evil grin, knowing that he just managed to make someone's day a bit worse like his was made. He wasn't all up for revenge unless people he cared for were involved, but sure as fuck did he love to drag people he couldn't stand down with him to the deepest pit of Hell.

That's what happens with an adult when he doesn't sleep nor get his coffee, kids. They turn evil, so note to yourself for the future reference: if your day is doing to be stressful, don't live through it without a good cup of coffee.

For a second it sounded like he was talking with someone else on the other side before he huffed angrily.

"Listen here! You think you're something just because you have a pretty face? Well, you're not! Once you get old and lose that pretty face of yours, you're nothing! No one will want you—"

"You forgot to mention that I have a nice ass," he interrupted him, willing to just end this and go to sleep as soon as possible.

"I..."

"And money."

"You do?"

"And nice cars," rub it in his face. Rub it.

"Look—"

"And wit."

"Really now?"

"And great skills in bed, so jokes on you or wait... Were you talking about yourself, by any chance? Oh, sorry then, my bad."

He was so going to burn in Hell for that personality of his, but it will be the heat he will gladly bathe in.

"Fucking brat, now listen here and listen well unless you want your father dead!"

Or no. Vincent might actually throw him in the place hotter than flames of hell because he just ruined any chance of negotiations he had to save him.

"You kidnapped my father, are you nut?" he asked, leaning on the wooden fence from the stairs, the tiredness already began to consume him and he still haven't gotten a proper coffee. Why was everything that bad happening to him?

"The message said that I'll attack someone important to you, you little piece of shit! You should've read what was written on the doors!"

"And I told you that the doors have been broken, why would you put some dumb place like that to write the threat, anyway? You should've used the walls!"

"Um, Nikolas—" Daniel tried to interrupt him, yet the blond CEO ignored everything as he focused on proving his point to one of the few people responsible for his life taking the wrong turn. And possibly ruin his as well.

"I'M TELLING YOU THAT I'M HOLDING YOUR FATHER CAPTIVE OVER HERE!"

"Big deal, he's been in that kind of situations before, he'll manage."

"Look, I don't know if you're on some drugs or whatever, but— what? What are you talking about, you're the one held captive here... I don't care... What the hell is wrong with you two... You... Look... But... Fuck, fine!" hearing what seemed like argument over there, Nikolas braced himself for whatever will leave that man's lips.

"Niko," he gasped when he heard his father's voice. There goes his sleep and peace, he was done.

"Yes, father?" Okay, maybe he shouldn't have acted like that and actually showed some worry and compassion towards his father being kidnapped and...

"I just found out that my daughter is having another baby. I wasn't there for her first child, nor for her own birth at that matter, but I don't have a single bit of intentions of missing this one. I want to go home and celebrate properly and talk to her before that super brat of her husband hurls his ass from Seattle to steal her away again, so shut the fuck up and get here and take me home! You made this shit, so clean it up properly!" His voice steadily became louder and angrier with every word that left his lips up to that point where he was shouting at Nikolas.

He was already running out of options. Just what else was he supposed to do so that he could get just a few motherfuckin hours of sleep?!