The Art of Hope (52)

Chapter 52

Eric and I, well, we were in a full blown relationship now. A day never went by without an 'I love you' and it seemed that he really truly did. All my worries from before had drifted away like leaves in the fall.

It has been more than a month from the first 'I love you' and still, I get that same feeling every time he says it. My father loves us being a couple; although, he never says anything; I still know. Eric and I make it a point to go out twice a week, so that our 'getting to know each other' time was not always in the bedroom. Not that we have taken that step. We have come close, very close, but never really done the dead. I told him that I was scared that something would take him away from me if I did it. It was hard to convince him that I was not talking about him, but that I felt there was some force that did not allow me to love anyone.

For whatever it is worth, he still is with me.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I wanted all of my family and friends to come to the castle. Well, things didn't work out. My mother now has a steady job and can't miss work. Annie and Jason are going to his parents' house for a week. So, it's just me and my father in the morning hours. Eric still does not know, and I did not tell him. I really don't want him to do anything for me. He has done enough.

But enough about that, at this point in my stay things were getting harder. I was on my way to my first council meeting, now. And shaking in my shoes. I don't know what to say or what to do. Dad was not going to be there, so it's just Eric and I along with stuck up men. Yes, I am the only girl. And to top it all off, they all look down on a girl running this country. Especially, a girl from America. I wanted to run and hide, but my pride made me stand tall. Thank goodness for pride.

The big doors were opened for me and I gracefully walked in. I kept my eyes on Eric the whole time, forcing the ignorant assaults on my past, background and style to the back of my head. They hated me, and I don't see why they shouldn't. I came in and just took their country right out from under them. I would be angry with me as well.

I nodded my head and said my hellos. Some of them graced me with a head bow, other just glared at me. I took it in stride. Eric mouthed a "You look so sexy I could eat you up" and I knew he said it to distract me. It worked.

"Now, Down to business." Eric began and I marveled in his ability to enforce so much authority. "What is first on the agenda?"

"We need cut backs. We are losing money since America has stopped trading with us." The short balding man shot me a death glare.

"Well, does anyone have an idea where to cut back?" Eric asked shuffling though papers. A part of me was so turned on by his business man quality; I could just crawl across the table to him.

"Well, health care receives the most funding. We could skim a little off of that to make the difference." I rather young looking man added. That was the worst idea ever, I thought before letting my eyes linger on Eric again.

"Are you sure there is no other place to dip into? What about taking some out of the Army? The country is not in war." Eric caught my lustful eyes, smirked, then continued looking though his papers.

"When America could attack us at any moment? We should take it out of the health care!" The man's voice rang throughout the room as his fist slammed down on the table.

Eric's face turned into a frown, "America has no intention of attacking us. I have talked to them, so if you would please, drop that subject."

"You are just like your father, never will do anything to prevent. Always undermining and reacting, while a spy sits right across from us." Anger flooded throughout me and I could do nothing to stop it.