The Art of Hope (51)

Chapter 51

It was hard to convince Eric that my mother had changed. He believed that people like that don't ever truly change. He was wrong, my mother was different. She cared now.

"Eric, just trust me. She is different. Do you really think I would make that day up? It was one of the happiest days of my life." I stared at him. His brow pulled into a worried frown, as he drove through my old town.

"I have seen what she has done to you. How can a person change after hurting their own blood?"

"You'll see." I mumbled, angrily.

There was silence, and it was uncomfortable for the both of us. It was thick and mucky making it almost impossible to breathe.

"You said one of the happiest days?" Curiosity etched his features.

"Yes, just one." I shot him a sly smirk.

"Well, what is the happiest day of your life, then?"

I blushed feverishly. There was no way I wanted to tell him, but I knew that some way he would crush my will and he would find out.

"Come on, you have to tell me. I'm your boyfriend." For some reason him using the word 'boyfriend' made it sound like I was in high school, again. In all truth I hated the word, because I felt we had something more.

"I don't have to tell you anything." I stuck out my tongue, and then went into hysterical giggles.

"Oh, really?" Then tone told me that he would do anything to find out.

"Yes." He turned the right hand signal on and began to pull off on the side of the road. When he stopped the car his gaze nearly made my heart stop.

That smile was on his face now, one dimple, white teeth, and a glow in his eyes. God, I love him.

He unbuckled himself crawled over the divider of the seats. I closed my eyes when his lips came to the nape of my neck. One soft kiss there, another under my ear, one at my jaw. I was faintly aware of cars zooming by and shouts of 'get some' from the guys driving them, but I had no will to blush. What consumed my mind was the longing for his lips on mine.

He placed a kiss on my forehead, my eyelid, my nose, the corner of my mouth, but never my lips. I forced myself to hold fast to my will, and so I focused my eyes on the road outside. But, his kisses had me squirming under him.

"Please," I begged desperately.

A dark seductive chuckle rumbled through him. "Not until you tell me."

My mind could not comprehend his words, but when they did I locked my mouth tight focusing on the road again.

His kisses returned with determination. He had me gasping in seconds as he sucked on the skin of my neck.

"Okay, Okay." I shivered, giving into him. He didn't pull away and I knew he wouldn't until I told him. "It was the... day you... asked me out." Gasps breaking up the sentence.

"What?"Astonishment flowed throughout the car, and then his eyes meet mine with an intensity that gave me hope. Maybe he did love me.

A gleaming twinkle lit up his face, but I did not have a chance to study it. I thought it was impossible for his kisses to be more demanding, but the energy of this one proved me wrong.

When we broke apart, his lips were swollen from my kisses and his hair ruffled from my fingers. He was beautiful. It was as simple as that.

_ _ _ _ _ _