The Art of Hope (24)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Chapter 24

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Missy's POV

Sunlight cast my eyelids to pink and warmed my face. I blinked the sun away and rolled over, not quite ready to begin my day. But before I closed my eyes I glanced at the clock. Shocked by the time I jumped up and into action. It was 12:37. I had missed breakfast and lunch. I ran to the chair where my clothes and planner lay and noticed a note on top.

Missy,

Eric told me that you did not feel well last night. So take your time. Sleep it off, because I canceled everything on your schedule for the day. Get better soon, and when you wake up come see me in my office.

Love,

Dad.

I found it sweet that he signed it dad. But most of my brain was trying to think about how I got up here. Eric must have carried me, and told my father I was sick. What is up with this nice thing? Could he have known about my whole heart breaking problem? No. There is just now way. He is not that observant.

Seeing as dad thought I was sick I was just going to walk around in a tee-shirt and jeans. Padding to my closet I froze, on the floor lay some of Jace's clothing. I grabbed at my heart again as the pain pulsed to my fingertips. Cursing myself for my weakness, I stepped over them and grabbed my clothes quickly pushing thoughts of him in a guarded door.

The biggest task of my morning was finding a bra that did not cause my breasts pain. I ended up with an average tee-shirt bra but I had to put the loosest clip on and let the straps out some. I was going to have to go to the doctor and try a different birth control pill, but for now I will just quit taking them. After I showered and got dressed my stomach was screaming for me to have some lunch so before I went to see my father I munched on the leftovers. I must have been starving because I had two servings off fish and chips.

Cleaning up the dishes I made the mistake of letting my mind wonder. Images of Jace snuck out from behind my guard. It surprised, angered, and upset me at how good my memory was. I could feel his arms around me, his sky blue eyes burn into mine. Another pulse of pain shot throughout my body causing my knees to give out for a second. Luckily I caught myself on the countertop. Shaking my head to clear the thoughts away I closed the door and locked my them behind it leaving me feeling nothing.

I did not realize that someone was in the kitchen until Eric spoke up. "Damn, did you have ALL the leftovers? There was enough to feed four people, and I was hoping to have some before I had to leave." I knew he was teasing me but I had so much pent up aggression that I snapped.

"Fuck you, Eric. I was hungry." I threw the plate I was washing into the soapy water making bubbles splash onto my clothes. "Can you ever just grow up a little and not make some smartass remark about everything? God, I am so sick of you." I spat.

He looked shocked and maybe even hurt. "Sorry, Sorry, God take a chill pill." He said holding his hands up in surrender. "Damn, I just wanted something to eat."

Footsteps caused him to break eye contact. I did not look away. What was wrong with me? Why can't I keep my composer? "Oh hey, Jace. Shit, what happened to your face?" Eric ended in a questioning chuckle.

My eyes shot up and I made the mistake of look straight into his eyes. Just looking into those sky blue eyes knocked the air out of my lungs. "Missy, Can we please talk about this? You need to know the whole story."

I saw him in bed with another woman. There is not a 'whole story' I thought. I turned to finish my dishes. Ignoring him was the best thing I could do for myself. But he would not let me have the chance. I felt his hand touch my arm. I went rigid, my breath caught, and my heart gave another gut wrenching throb. I knew it was not Eric because he was in my line of sight. "Come on sweets. We can work this out. Just let me-"