The Art of Hope (50)

Chapter 50

"Annie" I screamed, making my way to her.

"Missy!" She pulled me into a strong hold, not letting me go.

When she pulled away her hand found its way to my belly, where a baby bump should be forming. This made my mood take a sudden crash. All the happiness I was feeling drained from my body. I felt like washed up cargo, forgotten and alone.

"Missy, what's wrong?"

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, but it was too late the sinking feeling was slowly taking over. The unbearable pain in my chest was back. I knew this was going to be hard, but there was nothing I could do to prepare for it.

"I... lost it." It was no time until I was in her arms having the life squeezed out of me. The comfort was something I needed. She understood. She knew the pain I was feeling, unlike Eric. I knew that he tried to understand, but no man can truly understand if they are not the father. He hates Jace and I know there is a little part of him that does feel some happiness I lost it.

We cried together. Right there, in the middle of her living room our lovers standing around awkwardly, we just cried. There was a bond between us, Annie and I, which was so strong at times we did not have to say a word. And right now, the bond was unbreakable.

After our tears had dried and our hearts were somewhat healed, I pulled away, desperate to save this day.

"Yes, Okay." I collected my thoughts. "I guess I should introduce someone to you." Annie's smile grew knowingly. He was my 'prince charming' as she had put it once before. "This is Eric." I did not add a last name afraid that Jason would put two and two together.

When my eyes met his I saw the worry resting there, along with the longing to comfort me. But my outburst in the car had me blushing and turning away.

"So this is the Eric?" I did not miss the awe in her tone. "He is smoken!" She made sure I was the only one to hear.

She was right. He was the handsomest, most dashing man I had ever laid eyes on. And, he wanted me, for now. I was his girlfriend, but how come it just did not feel like enough anymore?

Walking over to him, I pushed the awkwardness away. He had not said a word to me in the car, and I was afraid things would never be the same. I took his hand and noted that he was calculating my every move making me try ever so hard to act normal. Easier said than done, I had a hole in my heart and it was waiting patiently for him to utter the three little words.

"Eric, this is Jason and this is Annie." He took each of their hands giving them a stiff shake.

Annie stared at him as if he was a famous supermodel. I could tell she was shocked at his size and looks. Obviously, she thought I was lying about his looks. That will teach her, I guess.

"So, you and Missy, eh?" Jason chuckled, "Not bad man, not bad at all." He seemed to find the whole thing extremely funny and I had the slightest clue why.

"Why don't you guys head to the living room while we bring you some beers?" I followed as she made her way to the kitchen.

Just as I entered Annie had spun around toward me, a serious look plastered on her face.

"You're falling to fast, Missy!"

"What?" I had told her everything and she agreed that he was kind and genital. Now, I was at a loss of words. I didn't understand the sudden change in her.

"You and Eric aren't going to make it if you fall so fast, again."

"How can you say that?" I forced myself to not lose eye contact.