Plot Twist (Chapter 2)

Start from the beginning

He feels a piece of paper in his pocket, then takes it out, with a confused face. "What's this?" Owen opens up the piece of paper and reads it. Scoffing, Owen crumbles it and puts it back in his pocket. At the bottom of his foot, a little crack appears on the floor. It might just explain these weird things that have been happening to me, Owen muses. And it has something to do with my grandparents.

The ground shakes lightly, so lightly that it wasn't noticeable.

--

Urana places her books into her backpack, then proceeds to swing it over her shoulders and closes her locker. She taps the lock up and it locks her locker. She runs a hand over her skirt, the wrinkles coming back. "I swear, no matter how hard I iron this thing," Urana mumbles to herself. A paper near her shoe catches her attention.

Kneeling down, Urana picks up the paper. She gets back up, straightening out the paper. Scoffing, Urana crumbles the paper back up. The paper gets wet in Urana's palm. Sighing, she puts away the paper, not wanting to deal with, what she assumes, a prank. Urana starts to walk out.

"You got the same note as me!"

Urana quickly turns around. Behind her, or now in front, is Ava. Urana narrows her eyes. "Seriously! Here, look," Ava pulls out the paper and shows it to her.

So she's not lying, Urana thinks, yet she could be the one who wrote the note.

"You've seen my handwriting. That's not me," Ava points out. Urana looks up from the paper.

I keep forgetting that she's not as simple-minded as she looks...just because she's the Jokester doesn't mean she's not good at reading people's thoughts, Urana reminds herself. Ava smiles.

"Let's go to the place together," she suggests, putting the note back.

"When it comes to this, how do I know if I can trust you? For all I know, you aren't a real 9th grader," Urana questions.

"I'm Ava Mcgarden. My mom is technically single, Shannon Mcgarden and I have a younger brother named Tyler Mcgarden. Here's a picture that was taken on the first day of school. And c'mon, we've been in this town since we were kids," Ava pulls out a photo.

Sure enough, it shows Ava, a small boy with blonde hair and brown eyes, and a woman with light red hair and very light hazel eyes, almost silver. Ava has a mixture of hazel and brown.

"Could be a fake," Urana argues.

"Oh c'mon! You're one of the smartest in the grade! You should know I have nothing to do with this the way you're thinking about this," Ava grabs Urana's hands.

'You can tell the truth from a person by looking at their eyes, the eyes never lie', Urana recalls her mother's words. Ava's eyes were showing a pleading look for her to believe her. Curiosity was also there. And some other emotion Urana couldn't point out. She's complex, Urana realizes. And what the heck? It's just eyes, they can't show emotion.

A soft breeze blows through, Urana's hair flowing towards Ava, who's ponytail flows back.

"Okay, I'll believe you," Urana looks down at her hands. Ava lets them go, then smiles brightly, putting her hands behind her back.