S E V E N T E E N

Start from the beginning

"What do we do after lunch?" Ethan asks and we all go silent, trying to find something to do.

"We get high." Paige laughs and I smack her arm. I chuckle and take a bite of my burger.

"Seriously though. Y'all ever got high? I mean, I know Lee did, but... you guys don't really look like potheads though." she chuckles and points at them with a fry.

"Not like Dail." I spit and we all burst out laughing.

"We only smoke cigs." Grayson bites into his burger.

"You should try something stronger. It's better." she winks and elbows Grayson. He rolls his eyes.

"You down?" she turns to me and I gulp.

I promised my father I would never do drugs again.

That I would never fall back into my old habits...

"Uhhh... I dunno." I poke my food.

"Come on, get loose a bit! We're free, no parents, no school, no rules. Let's have some fun!" she smiles and rests her elbows on the table, leaning forward.

"It's already a miracle that I brought a cig to my mouth, you should be proud that you convinced me to do that shit." I chuckle and take a sip of my iced tea. She rolls her eyes.

"I have a few contacts. I can get cheap blunts whenever I want." her smile grows wider.

"Another time Paige..." I look away and we finish eating while discussing about something else.

-----

We all hop in the truck and get the windows down.

I look at the board. 100 degrees.

It's fucking hot outside.

We take off from the small restaurant, on our way back to the cabin.
I press my head on the headrest and stare outside my window. Grey clouds are covering the orange sky. The sun is going down. The day went by really fast...

Tiny drops of water hit the windshield and Grayson looks at me.

"Alright, roll up the windows, guys." Grayson laughs and we all do so.

In a matter of minutes, the tiny drops became a waterfall. We almost can't see the road ahead of us.

"Wait... Gray, what is this?" Ethan shouts and points at something on the side road.

We all bring our focus to the side road and spot it.

A car crashed against a tree.

"Holy fuck!" Grayson hits the brakes and pulls over as fast as possible.

He jumps out of the truck and runs towards the car. We all get down and follow him, hiding our faces with our hands to prevent the rain from going into our eyes. We desperately run, mud covering our legs more and more at every second.

Grayson rushes himself to the driver's door and presses both of his hands on the window to see inside.

"Fuck!" he yells and tackles the window with all his strength.

Nothing.

Ethan runs to the other side of the car and bangs the passenger's window several times.

Still nothing.

I step closer and peak through the back window. Two parents are unconscious in the front seats and two children are screaming and crying on the back seat. The third one seems dead. He's a year old, not more.