Chapter 10: Together.

-- Gabriel --

How many days had it been now?

Gabriel had lost count.

The instinctive hunger tore at his insides like a werewolf tearing apart a body, and it had begun to mess with his head. Sam had offered him a plastic bag of cow blood, to try and keep him sustained, but Gabriel refused. He'd been told that it was only human blood that would prevent the cure from working, but he didn't want to risk it- and besides, he'd overheard from the other vampires that animal blood tasted absolutely vile.

Even tall, long-haired, adorable hazel-eyed Sam Winchester couldn't persuade Gabriel to feed. It felt as if all the acid in his stomach was eating away at his insides, and would soon consume him- he felt as though if the cure wasn't prepared asap, he'd die of hunger- and what a mess they'd all still be in.

He wondered whether if- when, he had to be positive- he took the cure, assuming it worked- whether the hunger would still remain. Gabriel wasn't sure even a thousand beef burgers or a hundred tons of sweets could sate the hunger that was slowly taking over him.

Gabriel had spent the last couple of days inside the house, not stepping foot outside even once- while Amara prepared the vampirism cure. She was the most skilled in the family at making potions (that didn't require magic) and preparing antidotes and cures for things that were curable like vampirism.

He guessed he was lucky that he was a vampire and not something else- like a werewolf- which was incurable.

The day sped on, the light merging into dark, the sun sinking behind the horizon- and someone finally knocked on his bedroom door. He didn't have to call to know who it was- he had learned Sam's presence by now, and could feel it as if Sam had his hand on Gabriel's shoulder. He shot to his feet from where he'd been sitting against the bare wall, facing the locked windows that were covered by his curtains. He opened the door, about to speak, when Sam said,

"Amara has succeeded in making the cure." Sam firmly grasped Gabriel's hand, staring him dead in the eye. "I know we've already warned you, but I'll do so again just to be sure- this cure has worked before, so it's very likely to work for you, but there will be painful side effects. You could be sick for days- but it's extremely unlikely that it will kill you. If you're lucky, your side effects will be few."

"If I'm lucky?" To say Gabriel felt alarmed at that would be an understatement.

"Come on." Sam tugged on Gabriel's hand, pulling him out of his bedroom, along the corridor and into the kitchen, where the rest of the family was already present. He felt like a performer walking onto a stage, with everyone's eyes on him- they expected this to run smoothly, with no mistakes.

Gabriel just hoped that Amara's potion skills hadn't failed her today. There was a bowl on the kitchen counter, filled with a dark red substance, with specks of something in it- this was the cure. Amara took the syringe that lay next to the bowl, and filled it to the top, turning to Gabriel finally.

"It'll be okay, Gabriel. Don't be afraid." Sam whispered in his ear, kissing his cheek briefly before joining Dean.

Gabriel thought it was funny that his whole family- Chuck, and all his siblings, both blood-siblings and adopted, and Sam and Dean- were here- this wasn't some spectacle, some show. But then Gabriel realised a few hunters would be needed to restrain him if anything went wrong- they really were preparing for the worst. The Winchesters had no idea what would happen if the cure didn't work- it had worked on Dean, and that was the only time they'd ever seen it used- so they'd never experienced it fail.