Chapter 4: Please Don't Hunt Me Down, Brother.

-- Gabriel --

It hurt. Everything hurt.

By as much as he could see from his position on the floor, it looked like he was still in the same barn they'd all found the vampires in. There were no sounds of fighting from the rooms nearby, which meant all the other hunters must have left, Castiel included. There were twelve vampires surrounding him in this room- which meant that the other hunters had only managed to kill eight of them. So Castiel still hadn't properly got his revenge, and now his brother had been captured.

Gabriel knew that, back at the Shurley house where Cas would be right now, his younger adopted brother would be alone in his bedroom, or he'd be with the rest of the family, but silent and trying not to cry. Castiel would blame all of today's events on himself, and Gabriel wished so badly that he could be there to comfort him and reassure him that he, Gabriel, did not blame his brother one bit.

I should've been more careful. I was stupid. My capture is my fault.

Even if- no, even when Gabriel got out, and returned home, he knew that Castiel still wouldn't forgive himself, even if Gabriel did.

Slowly, quietly, as subtly as he could, Gabriel reached a hand inside his jacket, his fingers closing around a syringe, full of dead man's blood. He brought it out, the point poised to strike, and when one of the vampires stepped closer to him, he rolled over, using the momentum of the roll to push himself up off the floor, and jammed the syringe deep into the vampire's neck, pressing hard down on the plunger. The vampire cried out in pain, and Gabriel took the opportunity to pull free a spare blade from inside his jacket and swing it at the incapacitated vampire. The head severed cleanly from the body, and Gabriel spun on his heel to face the next vampire- but a hard blow to the back of his head sent him sprawling on the floor again. His blade was kicked from his grip, and the remaining syringes of dead man's blood that he had were crushed under the unforgiving boots of the eleven remaining monsters.

"You can't keep me here for long. My family will come back and find me, and they'll kill you all!"

"Where is your family? I don't see them anywhere." Sneered the vampire standing closest to Gabriel, who then moved her foot to rest it on his chest.

Gabriel struggled, trying to twist away from her, but she pushed her shoe down hard on his chest, knocking the air out of him. "You're staying right here, hunter. We can't let you get away after you killed our brothers and sisters. Alex, what shall we do with him?"

The tall vampire with the messy, sandy-coloured hair, supposedly Alex, and probably the leader of the nest, had a cold, emotionless expression on his face as he said,

"Turn him."

Turn him.

If he couldn't get out of here now, he'd never get out. Gabriel struggled again under the vampire's boot, raising his arms to try and push her off, but three other vampires surged forward to grab him by the arms and haul him up.

The vampire called Alex stepped forward, his eyes gleaming with malice. He jerked his head in the direction of the female vampire who'd held Gabriel down a moment ago with her battered black combat boots.

"Kate. Would you like to do the honours?"

Kate, the vampire with the combat boots, grinned. "Are you sure you don't want to?"

"Oh, no, he's all yours."

"Thank you. I shall enjoy this immensely." Kate stepped up further to Gabriel, sneering at him. "I enjoyed ripping out the throats of that poor man and woman sixteen years ago- I assume your blue-eyed brother came here to kill me in revenge for that. Well it's too bad he couldn't avenge them. And he'll never forgive himself once he discovers he couldn't save you either. You're a lost cause. Give up now, and succumb to the dark side."