(31)Path of Midnight-Blue

Comincia dall'inizio

My voice was firm and full of strength. Would she find it comforting to know that I was ready for her to lead me down the right path? Or would she find it arrogant?

I ran a hand through my hair and turned to the large panelled mirrors that floated in the air- the ones that never showed my reflection. I stood in front of the nearest one, but again, no reflection.

It irked me and I shook my head.

This had to mean something...

Suddenly, a loud crack.

I whirled my head around and looked up to the dark sky; a flash of lightning caught my eye. It was bright and strikingly white against the blue night. The loud noise echoed on and on into the void.

Lightning... Zeus was the god of lightning and thunder.

Could this mean something?

It was a thin basis, but it was a start.

"Hecate, show me the way!" I looked around for some sign.

The lightning struck again, but this time it hit the tree.

The pink leaves burst into flames and I watched in silent horror as the rosy branches and the thick bark caught ablaze and trembled under the roaring heat. The fire was large and burnt the tree quickly- almost unnaturally.

Like I had when I'd set Trimorphe free from her resting place.

The tree burnt with fervour and I willed my tired legs to walk towards the heat. I looked around for any sign of her, but the endless field was empty. I quickly wondered how long I'd been in my trance already. Last time it had felt like a few minutes, but in reality it was over an hour.

How long before Thanatos would try to rip me out again?

I had to hurry. I could feel my energy drain and my head ache with concentration. There was no way I was going to leave here empty handed.

I neared the tree and the flaming bark was nearly completely disintegrated and swallowed whole by the fire. A few rosy leaves had escaped and scurried around my feet in protest. I picked up one and examined it in my hand- it smelt of something pungent... wine?

Where have I smelt that before?

I let it go and watched as it flew in the breeze, all along the lavender fields. The tree was now nearly ash, some embers dying out at its base. I could feel time trickle by, but here everything was clouded with a bright, saturated haze.

As the last flames finally got licked up by the cool wind, the ash lay still in the dirt. I stepped closer and then something shiny caught my eye...

This could be it.

This has to be something.

I quickly ducked down and pushed through the thick layers of ash, bark and branches until my fingernails scratched against something metallic. It was hard, and as I picked it up, light from the sky reflected off it and into my eyes.

A pocket watch.

My fingers traced its outer lid- it was old, made from a rusted gold. The lid popped open as I pressed down, revealing the white face of the watch. Black roman numerals showed the time- midnight.

The witching hour...

I held my breath as it began to tick.

Tick, tick, tick, tick...

As I touched it, it sprung alive. But for some reason, the hands of the watch didn't move. They remained in place for a few minutes as I just watched it tick in my palm.