03

I  flopping on my bed.

'Finding a suitable guy in this town is like finding a unicorn in the Sahara desert.'

'Tell me about it.' Cherry said carefully applying her mascara. She slept over last night so we could get ready for school together. We're dressing as hobos and I gotta say, it's not as bad as I imagined.

Cherry left her blonde hair in loose unruly curls hanging over her shoulders with a red and green striped fleece around her neck. She was wearing a pair of faded frayed-at-the-ankles jeans with an oversized army green coat over a brown tee shirt.

She dressed me up in an oversized plaid flannel shirt over a faded black shirt with sky blue ripped jeans. My long brown hair was tied up in a messy bun and a pair of combat boots finished the look. I had a matching fleece with hers.

She did both our makeup in a way that we actually somehow managed to not look incredibly stupid.

I'm not taking the bus looking this hot.' She said as soon as she finished applying her lipstick.

'We're dressed like hobos. I'm sure no one will object to us taking the bus.' I muttered, deciding not to point out to her that we didn't look hot at all.

Usually, she picks me up every morning with her car and we ride to school together but since she slept over at my house last night, she didn't come with her car.

'I'm still not taking the bus.' She said.

'I guess my dad could drop us off.' I offered.

'Cool. Here.' She said handing me what looked like a black trench coat.

'What is this?' I asked suspiciously.

'You're not hobo-ed enough. Put that on.' She said.

'You're kidding.' I held it up.

It wasn't a trench coat after all but it was some kind of thick heavy jacket.

'I'm going to roast in this.' I protested.

'You promised.' She narrowed her eyes.

I sighed before shrugging it on.

I looked like a complete hobo.

The looks we were getting at school was comical. I laughed my head off. I eventually had to agree with Cherry that we looked hot dressed as hobos because majority of the guys flocked around us. I had to scratch one more name off my list after spending sometime with him because his behaviour was repulsive in every way possible.

'Why are you dressed like a homeless person?' Cal asked falling into step with me.

'Cherry's bucket list. I promised I'd help her with some of the stuff on it. And just so you know, guys think it's hot.' I replied.

'Never said it wasn't.' He shrugged. 'How's your search going?'

'Horribly. I just ticked another name off my list and I'm eighty percent sure another one of the guys on my list is gonna ask Ginny out by lunchtime.' I replied.

'Cool.' He said. I glared at him then slapped his hand.

'No. Not cool.' I corrected. 'I want this to work out.'

He frowned.

'And that's why I'm going with you to hangout with the guys on the team. Three of the guys on my list are on the team.

'Why? You never hangout with us.' His brows creased in a frown.

'I just told you why. Now can I come or not?' I asked.

'If you want to.' He replied reluctantly.

'Well no need to get all happy and excited.' I said sarcastically and playfully shoved him. He rolled his eyes and smiled at me.

'So what's up with you?' I asked.

'I broke up with Carla.' He shrugged.

'Why?' I gasped. Poor Carla.

'I lov... like someone else. I shouldn't be leading her on.' He shrugged. My eyes widened to saucers and I quickly forgot about poor Carla. He almost said love!

'You like someone else?' My heart thudded painfully in my chest.

'Yeah.' He replied staring straight ahead. Something in my chest squeezed painfully. Cal has never liked a girl before. Mostly he's usually just fond of them. He didn't like either of  his exes. Not the way he likes this new girl that's for sure.

I forced a cheerfulness I didn't feel into my voice. I am probably just worried about him getting his heart broken. That's why my chest hurts.

'So? Don't keep me in suspense. Who is she?'

He shrugged nonchalantly. My eyes narrowed.

'You can't drop a bomb like that and not tell me who she is.'

'I can if she doesn't like me.' He replied.

'What? So she doesn't go to school here then.' I deduced.

'She does.'

'You said she doesn't like you back. Every girl that goes to school here has a crush on you. Sometimes it's unwanted but it's still there.' I said.

'Good to know.' He grinned and sauntered away.

'Well see ya!' I called drily. He paused and threw me one of his heart stopping smiles over his shoulder. I rolled my eyes and smiled back diligently ignoring the butterflies that had taken over my stomach.

***

'Your room hasn't changed much.' Cal said.

'I guess.' I replied, shrugging out of the heavy jacket Cherry forced me to wear.
'Why did you stop letting me come over again?'

'Because your girlfriend wasn't cool with it.' I replied going into my closet to hang the jacket/coat.

'Just wanted to be sure it was a stupid reason.' He smirked.

'It wasn't stupid. Your girlfriend has that right. I'm just a friend.' I retorted.

'You're not just a friend.'

'You know what I mean.' I gave him a pointed look to which he rolled his eyes.

'All set?' He asked.

'Yup. Let's go.'