Chapter Six

Dearest Hayden,

   Remember that one week before Christmas break that I spent rewatching the Hannah Montana episodes in production order? I had read somewhere that watching them that way instead of air order made so much more sense, so I took it upon myself to procrastinate studying for my finals and watch them instead. The result? Me on your bed with your oversized headphones over my ears, screeching the classic Disney songs of my childhood at the back of your head while you tried to study for your own finals. I never said I'm sorry for that, but you ended up getting all As, so I guess I don't really have anything to apologize for.

   What triggered this memory, you ask? Well, I was reorganizing everything I own last night in an attempt to make everything accessible and easier to pack up when I decide it's time to fly back home. I found the Christmas tape you'd made me for our road trip, a collection of classic christmassy tunes and a bit of Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and old timey Demi and Selena thrown in to mix it up. We'd listened to that tape on loop while we drove the six hours down to your family's place in Bend for Christmas. I still can't believe we pulled that off. My parents away on some romantic holiday, and you and I driving down to spend Christmas with your family... I remember feeling like I was such an adult, going away with my boyfriend for the holidays. It feels like just yesterday sometimes.

   A six hour drive felt like nothing with you. I had a box of arts and crafts supplies under me and was making a bunch of cards for your family that you somehow managed to forgot to buy some for, not to mention all the horrible singing that you so gracefully took part in so I wouldn't stop and listen to you.

   "This whole playlist is 30 minutes, how have you not memorized David's parts already? The song has been on at least four times by now." I asked you, bopping my head to the iconic David Archuletta and Hannah Montana duet I Wanna Know You.

   You made it up to me by howling along to the Demi classic La La Land a couple of tracks later.

   Before I knew it, we were already pulling up to your house. Your sister Celia ran out of the house as soon as you honked, announcing our arrival. She jumped into your arms and gave you the biggest hug possible, then ran to me. I was surprised, but it made me feel all warm and soft inside knowing she was excited to see me too.

   Your mom had set out a plate of sugar cookies spelling out "welcome home!" on the kitchen table in all the different colors of frosting she could think of.

   I don't know if you heard when her and I spoke after we'd placed their presents that we'd gotten with us under the big beautiful tree, but she said "I made sure to not include any nuts, so they're safe for you to have." and I couldn't have been more touched by how welcoming your family was.

   Your parents did Christmas like no one else, Christmas music was on at all times, fresh cookies periodically, and decoration no one can ever contend with. You'd warned me they went all out, but I never thought anyone could beat the Andersons, my next door neighbors.

   The days went by so quickly, and I couldn't believe it when we were already done with Christmas Eve dinner. Somehow, your dad had timed everything so perfectly, that we left just in time for the midnight mass. 

   As soon as we got to the church, you disappeared. I sat next to Celia, who was practically jumping up in her seat. I laughed when she looked at me, the biggest smile on her face. 

   "Just you wait, you'll be just as buzzed as I am when you see what Hayden kept from you." She said, and I immediately knew what you were about to do. 

  As soon as the choir walked out, I spotted you all changed into your robe, standing in between other singers. After singing a few as part of the group, you were introduced to sing a solo rendition of Silent Night. I couldn't be more excited to hear you sing. 

   Barely a few words in, your father handed your mother, your sister, and I all tissues. When I looked at their faces, I realized I wasn't the only one tearing up. 

   At first, it was just you and your guitar. But then, right at the middle of the song, a group of little boys and girls walked out in choir robes matching the adults, and stood behind you, singing the rest of the words after you. 

"Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright."

   I don't remember what happened for the rest of the song, because I had officially started crying at that point. If hearts could grow in size, mine would have for you that night. I saw yet another side of you I never had, and I was falling even more in love with you. 

   We got home late, all of us pretty tired, and each headed to our rooms for the night. At the beginning of the trip, you insisted I stay with you in your room, and at first I wasn't sure it was such a good idea, but then I realized your parents were expecting it anyway, and they wouldn't have thought it a disrespectful act on my part, and I ended up staying with you for the rest of the holiday.

   It was that night that you all of a sudden asked me the randomest question I could have ever gotten at that point, "have you ever been to Malibu?"

   "No," I replied, not really thinking twice about your own thought process, "have you?"

   You shook your head, and went quiet. I looked up at you, but you kept staring at the cieling, rubbing my arm.

   After a few more minutes, you said "what if we drive there after breakfast and presents tomorrow."

   I sat up, confused. "Isn't it like... a twelve hour drive?"

   You pulled out your phone, and googled it. "About fourteen," you said, "but we could totally do it."

   That was when we had probably my favorite exchange between the two of us.

    "Are you insane?" I'd asked.

   "Yes," you replied, then added "So? What do you say?"

   "Let's do it." 

   Malibu deserves it's own letter, don't you think? That was something else. I miss you more and more with every single one of these. I hope I'll get to see you soon.

   With love,

   Alexis