Chapter Three

Dear Hayden,

   I said yes to a second date.

   Seeing you've moved on pushed me to just go for it, and to give the guy a chance rather than just find something wrong with him like every other one I've gone out with since I was with you.

      I went but it didn't feel right. I mean, I've been out with other men since we ended things, but none of them felt right. I wanted this one to, so bad, but he didn't. I can't figure out why this keeps happening. Is it because I haven't truly moved on from you? Or did I really mess up by letting you go and now karma is out to get me?

      He took me to a karaoke bar. I've learned my lesson with you, though, never sing with a guy before knowing if he can sing or not. The entire time I was there, I was almost waiting for you to come up and sing. I kept zoning out and thinking about my experience with Karaoke with you.

      We were texting back and forth for a week straight after what we've come to know as 'the Grocery Store Incident' and I couldn't be happier. I was finally getting to really know you and it all somehow made sense to me, like I knew deep down I was meant to fall in love with you.

      You told me you have a sister and you had a brother who passed away two years ago, I told you I was an only child. You said you were studying Journalism and Mass Media Communications, you thought it was weird I wanted to explore my other options before going into college.

   We talked about everything, from life, to books, even discussing in detail our love of Disney movies, and my excitement for the Gilmore Girls revival. You were close to perfect.

      "Do you have any plans this weekend?" You'd asked, I finally allowed myself to get excited about seeing you again.

      "Nothing solid yet, no..." I replied, and I waited. I got nervous after not getting a reply as quickly as you usually text, so I sent you another one. "Anything in mind?"

      "I know of this little coffee place I think you'd love, they're having a karaoke night this weekend. Care to join me?"

      I can't begin to tell you how much that made me happy. It was so simple, yet so thought out. Before I had a chance to agree, you sent another text right after your first.

      "You have to promise you're gonna get up and sing a duet with me, though. I promise I'll choose something you know and love?"

      I agreed. Let's be real, I had no other choice. I was already smitten. The weekend couldn't get there fast enough. I remember trying to decide what to wear, what I should say and do, my friends were all impressed I had a college guy, and my mom already loved you. Everything was perfect before we even went out once.

      Saturday night, you picked me up and my nervousness was visible a mile away. But you made it all so easy, you were an absolute gentleman through and through.

      "Are you ever going to tell me what song you're going to make me sing with you?" I asked laughing as you got into your car. You'd kept it from me all week, teasing me with hints that made no sense and then telling me I had to wait and see. All I got was that the duet had made me cry, and that it holds a special place in my heart, which narrowed it down to ten thousand songs.

      "You're gonna know it the moment the tune starts, you'll be fine!" You smiled, starting your car and taking me straight to the spot you'd told me so much about. I couldn't wait to see the place you spent a lot of your free time at.