Melissa's P.O.V.

No one will ever love you.

My gosh, you're such a slut!

Are you insane? He never loved you.

Loser.

They're going to go back to that adoption center and ask for a refund.

You are pathetic.

Hey, Melissa. It's your mother.

The last words sounded like shouts, echoing into my mind.

"Make it stop! Make it stop!", I screamed, crying out, but the hurtful words continued to throw themselves at me. I could barely breathe as they tore me apart yet again.

"Melissa! Wake up! It's Liam!" The voice intruded by dream like a sweet melody, reminding me that I wasn't completely trapped inside their words. My eyes fluttered open, causing me to squint at the newfound light, and I grabbed at Liam, who was wearing boxers and a white T-shirt. He was going to be staying here for at most a week or two so that we could get to know each other a bit. It had already been a couple days since the carnival, and they had been spent by shopping for my worthless ass.

"Are you okay, Melissa?"

"I-I don't even know anymore, if I'm honest.", I admitted, my voice cracking and my lip quivering.

"Oh, Melissa.", he sighed, and I felt myself being picked up off the bed, and he held me up to him, supporting my bottom with his hands. He planted a small kiss on my forehead and stroked my hair.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm taking you down to the dungeon!", he whispered, and I giggled.

"Seriously, Liam." I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'm going to take you downstairs to give you your phone. We finished activating it just a little while after you went up to bed."

"Why?"

"I know how nightmares are. You'll be scared to fall asleep again. You could play around, watch some YouTube videos, look up hot pictures of Liam Payne..."

I laughed. "You are so weird."

He just shook his head at me and carried me out of my room and down the stairs. He set me down gently, grabbed my new phone and its charger off the kitchen counter, and then gave it to me.

"Oh, hey Liam."

"Yeah?"

"Niall said something about us exchanging numbers. Could you go ahead and give me his number so I don't forget later?", I asked.

"I assume that you two got on well, then? Harry told me he'd like your number, too. I'll just you give you both of them.", he replied.

"Okay. Thanks, Liam, and yes, your old bandmates are great.", I smiled.

We headed back upstairs, and we took a quick pit stop by his room so I could get their numbers.

"My number and the rest of the family's are already in there by the way.", he told me as I went to go back to my room.

I nodded. "Thanks again, Liam."

"No problem, Melissa."

I had just reached my bedroom door when Liam appeared behind me. "Oh, and, if you need someone to talk to, Niall stays up pretty late. You could try Harry, too. I'm going to try to get some sleep though because I'm going to take care of the baby tomorrow for Cheryl."

I nodded before entering my room, shutting the door behind me. I crawled into the bed and set the charger down on the nightstand. I opened my phone and decided to text Niall.

Melissa: Hey, Niall, it's me, Melissa. Liam said u might be up

Niall: O hey M :)