Molten Chocolate Moments Part 2

"This town has a fair!" Andy exclaimed happily.

They turned one last corner, and from the maze of their town emerged a small boardwalk that overlooked the lake. It wasn't big, but it was bustling with weekend activity. There were street performers, small stalls that laid out interesting wares on display and a string of shops ranging from food to souvenirs.

"It's not really a fair, it's just a weekly seafood market." He mentioned.

"I have never seen this side of town before. I didn't even know that this place existed!" she jumped on the edge of the boardwalk and began balancing herself at the corner.

Aiden surprised at her sudden movement, tried to grab hold of her before she fell into the water. But Andy happily ignored him and continued walking along the edge, balancing herself with her arms outstretched on either side. "Where are we going, anyway?"

Aiden gave up and dropped his hands to his side. "To eat crawfish."

Andy grimaced at the thought. "Seriously? You want to sit and de-shell living things on your birthday?"

"Oh god," he rolled his eyes. "It's going to be de-shelled. Plus," he added, "It's my birthday remember? We have to do whatever I want."

Andy jumped down the ledge, and stood right before him. She leaned in, much to Andy's surprise and smiled. "Sure thing, birthday boy."

They stood in a long line, or that's what Andy thought. It was all of 15 minutes. Aiden paid for two small paper buckets of de-shelled crawfish. Andy took some ketchup and garlic mayo with her. Aiden looked at her in disgust.

"What?" she called our defensively. And to his horror, she dipped a piece in ketchup and took a bite. "What's wrong?"

"That's disgusting!" he exclaimed. "Have you never eaten crawfish before?"

"No" she replied solemnly. And she had to agree, it tasted absolutely gross. But Aiden didn't have to know that.

"Give that to me" he took the ketchup and garlic dip from her fingers and quietly disposed it in a trash can.

"Hey!" she mockingly punched his shoulder, "What was that for?"

Aiden ignored her and continued to walk down a small protrusion on the boardwalk. A short pier had a bench at the corner overlooking the lake. He sat down and Andy followed him.

They sat in silence for a few moments. The sky was turning into the color of peaches and there was a slow breeze causing ripples in the water before them.

Andy was making small sounds at how good the crawfish tasted and Aiden watching her chomp away through her bucket.

"You really need to stop doing that." She pointed out, to which Aiden suddenly looked down at his bucket as if he were caught. "You need to stop watching people."

"I like watching people." He replied quietly.

"But some people can consider that stalking." She snorted. "I know you stalk me all the time so that's ohkay. But to other people, it's creepy."

Aiden's head shot up, eyes wide with embarrassment.

"Plus," Andy continued, "I have no idea what you are thinking." She touched the topic again. "For instance, what are your preferences for college?"

"I don't like thinking about the future." He replied curtly.

"But why? What's wrong with the future?"

"I like my life now. I like the people around me, I like what I am doing and I want to just pause life at this. I don't want to think of what can or cannot happen in the future."

Andy placed a hand on his shoulder, "But you do have to think about it sometime. You do want to go to college, don't you?"

Aiden nodded his head but continued to eat his crawfish in small bites. "What about you?" he asked, looking far into the lake.

"Oh," Andy bobbed happily, "Creative writing. Lit major for sure." She turned to face him. "I just don't know which college I am going to yet. That's where the school can help us if we pick a preference." She added.

"See, you know what you are good at. You know what you want. You also know where you are going. I don't."

Andy laughed really loudly at that, making Aiden jump. "Aiden, my brother knows what he wants. He had it all figured out from when he could pronounce 'return on investment'. I just know what I want right now." She turned to face him, keeping her bucket of food before her and folded her legs to get comfortable.

"You don't know where you want to go and what university you want to join? Or what job you want to do after?"

"Nope, na-da, zilch." Andy made an 'X' with her hands. "I don't think about the future too much anymore. It just scares me. So I just live in the moment and take it one day at a time. Sometimes.... That's all we can do." She looked at him reassuringly.

Aiden thought for a few moments.

"Ohkay, tell me 3 things you like doing right now." She asked him, before taking another bite of her crawfish, just to realize she finished them all. Sheepishly, she looked at Aiden who offered her a few pieces of food from his own bucket. 

"Well, I like working at the shop, I like this video game I am playing, I like talking to yo- " he blurted and suddenly stopped himself. Andy stopped eating and looked up.

---

After all the 'What happened to Andy and Aiden?' requests, here we are.

I really want to know what you would think would happen next?

Have a creatively happy week! :)

DaysOfRainAndSummer.com

com