Extra Whipped Cream, Please

"There are certain things you eat which take you back to either a past memory or it gives you a glimpse of the future. For me, that was what extra whipped cream on my hot chocolate was like."- Grams

It's no surprise that Gramps couldn't manage an entire coffee shop on his own. And the place wasn't too big, in fact, it was nothing short of homely.

Gramps walked down from the back door and pulled up the shutters of the window. Once he unlocked the front door, he clicked open the neon sign that decorated the glass. A bright outline of a blue mug with a dolloped of whipped cream lit up and thus announcing that the hot chocklit shop was open for the day.

Gramps surveyed the place and as always, was quite happy with his establishment. On the left was a long continuous red velvet sofa and opposite it had rows of tables and chairs made tastefully of oak. The table tops were a pink marble color that complimented the light oak and the far end of the room had a small nook with the same red velvet floor cushions. There was also a majestic wall of shelves that layered from the top to the bottom with books in all kinds of genres imaginable.

It wasn't fancy, it wasn't a big commercial sell-out, it did not have loud top 40 music playing in the background, and fancy names for all its coffees and hot chocolates, but it was home.

And it was his.

'Delia should be in any moment now', Gramps thought to himself as he looked at his watch. 'In fact, so should Aidan'.

Delia was the business management college graduate, that decided she hated the corporate world after a short sting in the city's biggest conglomerate. But Delia did know she loved food and the process of making food. Especially baking and the art of creating sugary delights. So when she decided to apply to THCS, with absolutely no working experience in baking or cooking, and nothing but a tray of her cinnamon blueberry sugar rolls, Gramps took her in. And her sugar rolls. And not to mention her handy experience in financing and numbers.

Delia would bring in her freshly baked item of the day and also swiftly made the THCS regular snacks and sandwiches in the small kitchen behind the open counter.

Gramps would say her talent was wasted in such a small store. She could start her own business and make a local name for herself. Why work in a tiny coffee shop?

And Delia would warmly say, 'Because of you Gramps. Always because of you.'

Aiden, on the other hand, was a boy very unlike his peers. High school senior working part time to help save for college, and help his single mother pay the bills. Quiet, smart, efficient and observant, Aiden was what teenage girls his age would call 'a looker'. But Aiden has no interest or even the slightest of clues why girls would giggle behind his back. He would just consciously push the bridge of his square glasses higher and walk away.

Gramps remembered the first time Aiden came to his store.

5 years ago a boy with a backpack on one shoulder and a big book in hand, stepped into the store and awkwardly went to the counter to place his order. Delia took his order of a small hot chocolate and Aiden shuffled his pocket for change, awkwardly crumpled out a dollar bill and some coins.

Before he was about to turn around to receive his order Aiden softly requested Delia for something which caught Gramps attention. "Can I have extra whipped cream, please?" Aiden requested, barely audible. Delia nodded and went back to prepare his hot chocolate.

The boy then went over to the corner table and took out all his books, and began to do, what looked like his homework.

Every day for the next 2 weeks, Aiden would show up at the same time, order the same thing, never anything to eat, and did his homework till the sun went down. He would then shuffle all his books back into his bag and leave.

Gramps looked at this diligent boy, and one day offered if he would like anything to eat. "No thank you" he would politely say, looking down at the remaining coins in his hand. "It's on us" Gramps smiled, pushing a tuna melt sandwich towards him.

For the first time, Gramps saw him smile the most genuine smile anyone has ever given him. As he watched the boy carefully take the plate to his usual spot, Gramps curiously went up to him and asked his name. "Aiden" he replied, happily eating his sandwich. "Where is you mother, Aiden?" Gramps asked to which he casually answered, "At work".

"What time does she get off work?" "Six." "Where do you live?" "Just a couple of buildings down the road." And when Gramps clearly wasn't getting much out of him he followed the child home, to find him waiting at the front steps of a building. Five minutes later, a beautiful young lady came around the corner to greet him. She hugged him, unlocked the door and they both went inside.

Now Gramps was no one to pry, but when a 12-year-old boy diligently showed up at his shop every weekday for a month, Gramps had to know why the child wasn't going home from school.

The answer came on one Saturday afternoon.

***

http://daysofrainandsummer.com/

Me: Trying really hard to think of cast ideas for Gramps, Delia and Aiden. Any suggestions? :)

 Any suggestions? :)

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
The Hot Chocklit Shop | ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें