Kareo-cake

"Why do they say to sing your troubles away? What if you feel something that can't be expressed in any other way? You sing when you are sad, yes. But you also sing when you are happy. Right?"- Grams

"What's wrong?" Aiden asked Delia as soon as he walked in the store. Delia was frantically fussing over the papers in front of her. "What is all this?" he pointed to the papers, which Delia had now picked up and was browsing through. The lines on her forehead visible. 

"Bills." She replied without looking up. Her hair was in an unusual bun, held together with a yellow pencil and her glasses pushed far up her head. One word, bun-haired Delia meant one thing- frazzled and deadly serious. 

"Wait, are we running out of money? Or...-" Aiden trailed away, confused. He put his book bag down next to Gramps who was quietly looking into his notebook.

"No, no, nothing like that. We are just trying to see if we can make more money than just breaking the costs every month. We literally spend all the profit we make. There is no growth in here." Delia put her glasses back on and looked up and Aiden.

"And I already told her that I am happy just making this much money. I don't see why we need to make any more." Gramps countered, looking between Aiden and Delia. 

"Gramps, that's not the point. Every business needs to grow, needs to have some money stored away from emergency repairs or, changing the equipment. Imagine, if Betsy needed a fix-me-up. That thing could cost you money you don't have!" Delia pointed at their customized, bronze, hot chocolate making machine, affectionately named Betsy.

"Then I can just take money from my savings and pay for-"

"No!" Delia surprisingly (but gently) banged the table with her fist. "I cannot -will not let you break open your savings for your business. Your business needs to support itself, and it needs to make more money to do so."

"But-" Gramps continued to say, looking a little helpless.

"No buts Gramps. I will find a way to help this shop make a little extra money for a rainy day." Delia said ambitiously and turned towards Aiden, "And you are helping me," She plucked Aiden by the sleeve and steered him towards the front door. "Gramps, can I steal Aiden away for 20 minutes? I have something I need his help for."

"Umm... sure," 

"Perfect!" Delia replied excitedly and left.

"It's called a what?" Gramps put down a customer's hot chocolate on the side and looked up Delia and Aiden, both holding either side of a magazine.

"A karaoke machine." Aiden explained, "Come on Gramps, you should know what it is and how much fun it can be. It was invented during your time right?" he sheepishly smiled, earning a frown from Delia who shook her head.

"That's not how you sell an idea," Delia hissed at him and smiled sweetly back at Gramps "Look, Gramps, it's a machine that has these songs stored in them and lyrics that show up on the screen for you to sing along to. See?" She flipped the magazine open and showed him the picture. "And the best part is, they rent it out to people for like a day and stuff so you don't even have to buy it."

"So why should we do this... this Karaoke night?" Gramps asked, putting his reading glasses on and looking at the picture.

"Because it's so much fun!" Aiden chimed in.

"And it brings in more customers." Delia continued. "You post fliers around the area for an open Karaoke night and test out how this idea fares. We are always competing with live music bars and pubs, why not let a hot chocolate shop have a slice of that profitable pie?"

"Hmm... well, alright. I don't see the harm." Gramps replied looking up at Delia. "I sure hope you kids know how to manage this."

"Don't worry Gramps! It will be fun, you will see." Delia smiled.

Gramps really didn't want to tell the kids that he had a very funny feeling about this. But they look so excited about the idea. Who was he to rain on their parade?

Ah, if only they knew what awaited them that Friday.

***

Sorry for the late update and if this part was too short. But the next part is worth it. I promise. :)

www.daysofrainandsummer.com

com