Waiting

Hours later I was lying on Jace's bed reading a book from his shelf. It was about some zombies who were attacking a village. It wasn't exactly my kind of book, but it was better than writing messages to Magnus just to erase them before hitting send. I finally gave up on the book though by the fifth chapter because I had read it twice and still had no idea what was going on. Honestly, I couldn't tell if it was confusing because it was written badly or I just wasn't focusing.

I rolled over so I could see the ceiling and smiled at the memories I found up there. There were a couple of glow-in-the-dark stars still up there that we had put up during our first sleepover. Most had fallen so there were small pieces of blu-tac stuck to the ceiling. Then closer to the closet were a couple of holes in the ceiling from where we had shot airsoft pellets when we got grounded for using my gun to shoot at our sisters.

On the walls were posters of actresses and movies that Jace liked. But he also had a whiteboard on one wall that we both drew on. I had a matching one in my room. No matter what changed in our rooms the boards remained. Sometimes I would sneak in and write or draw something just to see how long it took for him to notice. It had been a running game of ours since we were thirteen years old and bought the boards together. My phone pinged and I looked to see if it was Magnus. It wasn't.

"What did she say?" Jace asked while leaning over my arm so that he could see my phone.

burger girl: Cnt wait 2 met up 4 tnght!

Her message made me want to break my phone. I understood using text lingo but come on! There had to be a limit.

"I don't think I can talk to her anymore just based on her texting. It's horrible. What ever happened to using actual words?" I huffed, the girl, whose name I still couldn't remember, had been texting me for the past hour and I just wanted it to be over already.

"Don't forget that she's hot so who really cares?" Jace slapped my arm and laughed. "Why do you have her number saved under "burger girl"?"

"I couldn't remember her name." I admitted and responded with a smiley face to her text even though I felt disgusted and not just because of her text. I wanted to be texting Magnus; not her. But that was a crazy idea.

"Come on man, it's Lydia! Seriously you do not deserve that girl." He fluffed his hair as he put some gel in it. He always put much more attention into his look for parties. I on the other hand sometimes changed my shirt before going. Today I had because I wanted to look good when I saw Magnus, I mean I just wanted to look good. It had nothing to do with Magnus. I wondered if I could call him Mag. Would that be weird?

"You can have her." I put my hands up in surrender after realizing that Jace was still talking about the burger girl.

"You can't just trade girls like baseball cards, Alec." He scolded as he started to brush his teeth.

I took the moment of his distraction to check myself out in his mirror. My blue eyes almost glowed because of the bright blue shirt I was wearing and my dark jeans reminded me of Magnus's. Would it be weird if I wore them? Was I trying too hard? I ruffled my dark hair and felt a little better. My nose was straight and my eyebrows strong. That was a good thing right? I needed to stop worrying. It shouldn't matter. Magnus was just a guy; but what if he could be my guy? I shook my head to empty it of the crazy ideas.

"Ready to go?" Jace asked as he sprayed his too-strong cologne. Sure, it smelt fine, but the amount he put on ruined it.

"Yeah. Are you?" I joked because we both knew he always took longer to get ready.

"I'm sorry that my god-like looks aren't entirely natural." He punched my arm.

I grabbed my arm and pretended to be in pain. "Ouch, you need to stop getting punching lessons from your sister! They're actually starting to hurt."

"Good one." He laughed and moved to punch me again, but I grabbed his fist before he could make contact with my shoulder.

"Don't forget that I've been working on my fighting all summer and you've been watching TV while eating chips." I kicked his leg at the back of his knee with just enough force to make it buckle without hurting him.

"You call football camp eating chips?" He growled and swung at me with his left fist which I easily ducked away from.

"Oh right, you went to ballerina camp. How could I forget?" I joked and jumped away from him as he started swinging his arms faster.

A/N Hope you enjoyed it! In the next chapter you'll get to meet Alec's date again. What do you think Magnus will think of Alec's little friend...?