Chapter Fifty-Five

Start from the beginning

"You got lucky son," dad pats my back, "we would have had a birth and a funeral. My funeral."

"That's not funny," Gemma interrupts.

"Sorry sweetie," dad kisses the top of her forehead and leaves.

"Well," Edward walks up, "aren't you one lucky bastard."

"So what did you tell her after you found out?" Gemma asks.

"Bet you gave it to her good didn't you?" Edward jokes.

"She confessed," I say, "she told me before the results were in. She said Max was the dad."

"Max?" Edward chokes, "Lacrosse Max? Dumber than me Max?"

"Yes," I say.

"Holy shit," Edward bites into an apple, "she's fucked."

Marcel's POV

"Marcel..." Olivia breathes, "why did you-"

"I'm sorry," I pull away and stand to my feet. I look down and Olivia is still on the ground speechless. I hold my hand out to help her up but she refuses.

"I'm really sorry Olivia," I shake my head and adjust my glasses, "this wasn't my intention. I apologize."

"You just kissed me," she stands on her own and brushes the snow off her ski suit.

She looks at me and turns around. She speed walks away from me and I follow her. She tries to walk faster but I catch up. Then she starts running. She runs and I follow her. We end up back in the parking lot and she jumps in the car. I'm out of breathe and I stay outside until I can properly breathe.

"Why..did..you..run..away?" I manage to say. I'm so tired I feel like I'm going to pass out.

"Marcel you kissed me,"she gasps.

"I know....i'm...I'm sorry," Inhale and exhale Marcel, "oh my god I think I'm going to die."

"Why did you do that?" her voice is surprisingly calm.

"I don't know," I regain a little more oxygen in my lungs and slows down my breathing rate, "it just happened."

"I can't believe what just happened," she whispers and touches her lips.

"But don't you like me?" I ask and shift myself to look at her. She stays silent, "Olivia."

"Yes I do!" she cries, "but you don't."

"What?" I frown.

"You don't like me," she repeats, "I know you don't."

"I'm sorry," I apologize again, "I really am! Please don't be mad at me, that's the last thing I need right now."

"You miss her don't you," she speaks up.

"Who?"

"Veronica," she looks at me, "you miss her. I can tell."

"I do," I admit, "I do a lot."

"And I look like her," she stares into my eyes, "which is why you kissed me."

My heart rate goes up as the resemblance comes clear. She's right, Olivia looks like Veronica, not exactly but there's a perfect resemblance.

"You do," my eyes begin to tear up, "you look almost exactly alike."

"I've longed for that kiss," she smiles, "but I know it wasn't meant for me. I care about you Marcel and the last thing I want to do is hurt you again."

"Again.." I frown. Realizing that she knows. She knows that after all this time I've been hurt by her, and the way she made me feel, but she's come to realize that it's not her anymore. It's Veronica whose taken my heart.