News

My hands were shaking wildly as I brought Seth a cup of coffee. I sat in-between him and Andy, watching Morti sleep peacefully. I would've smiled as she giggled and moved in her sleep, but I couldn't get the thought that my sister, my best friend was near death, out of my head.

It seemed like everything was moving in slow motion. Nothing was moving at normal speed. Even my breath was dragging along. I felt like I was going to suffocate. There was nothing that could help it either. Unless, the doctor were to come out and say that Claire was fine.

But nothing happened. We had been there for five hours. I had to walk out a few times, just to be alone. I didn't even want Andy with me. I had smoked a whole pack of cigarettes in five hours, and it took all of my strength to not drive to the gas station across town to get more.

I was walking in after putting my last fag out, when I became light headed. Shaking my head, I ignored it to the best of my ability and acted like I was fine. I sat down and rested my head against the wall behind the chair. I took a deep breath and it hit me.

I ran to the bathroom and my head dipped into the toilet. Andy followed me and held my hair back. As I vomited up whatever was making me sick, I almost started crying. Claire was in danger, and I was here, puking my guts out. It was five minutes before I finally lifted my head and flushed the toilet.

I washed my face and walked over to my purse to grab money so I could get something to drink from the vending machine in the waiting room. I walked back to the bathroom and swished flavored water in my mouth a few times, spitting it out when I was done.

We were the only people there. It was quiet except the sounds of doctors and nurses running through the halls of the emergency room.

"Ali, you might want to go home, if you're sick—"

"Andy, I'm fine. It was probably just my body reacting funny to being back home. I need to stay." I cut him off.

"You sure you're okay?" He asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

Morti started crying just as Andy began rubbing my shoulders. I sighed and moved to grab her. I held her in my arms, letting her wrap her arms around my neck. I bounced her around and walked.

"Andy, can you make a bottle?" I asked. "There's formula in the diaper bag, and an empty bottle. Read the directions on the formula can."

"Yeah," he said.

I thanked him and continued bouncing Mortica, who was still crying.

"I'm so tired of being here.
Suppressed by all my childish fears.

And if you have to leave, I wish that you would just leave." I started quietly singing My Immortal, by Evanescence.

"'Cause your presence still lingers here, and it won't leave me alone.

These wounds won't seem to heal. This pain is just too real.

There's just too much that time cannot erase.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears. When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears.

And I held your hand through all of these years, but you still have all of me.

You used to captivate me by your resonating light. Now I'm bound by the life you left behind.

Your face, it haunts my once pleasant dreams, your voice, it chased away all the sanity in me.

These wounds won't seem to heal. This pain is just too real.

There's just too much that time cannot erase.