07 | heartrending revelations

Start from the beginning

"Thank you." Ria offers a light nod. "I know Chris cares about me...I don't think he'd be manipulating me."

"Sometimes people don't know they're being manipulative or even manipulated. Just remember, it's okay to let yourself feel pain. It's okay to be alone."

And those are the words Ria leaves her session with. A heavy heart and a heavy mind weight on her fragile soul. There are numorous things to consider in her chaotic life. Her own happiness and health. The failing relationship she has with Chris. Accepting that Ashton left her and moving on. Moving on from the loss of their child and love.

Not by ignoring it but accepting the pain.

Feel the pain.

So as she leaves the building and bundles up in her coat and gloves to go outside, she feels everything. Cold air hits her like a brick wall as she steps into the winter afternoon. Pain gnaws at her spirit and she lets it.

Feeling sad is okay.

She sniffs back her congestion and wipes her tears as she searches the parking lot for Sophia's beat-up Nissan. "Crying is okay. My life is kind of a mess, but that's okay. I had an ex-boyfriend who kind of put me on an emotional rollercoaster. I fell in love with him, was pregnant by him, got caught up in his alternate life with the mafia, lost his baby and then he left me."

Sophia's car is nowhere to be found and her sanity begins to slip through her fingers as she paces along the sidewalk. "B-but it's okay. I have it all figured out."

Vincent left her with a choice, a decision that could alter lives for the worse. She can help him find Ashton and he'll stay out of her and Vivian's life forever. One sacrifice for the benefit of two people. Sacrifice the man who tore her apart or sacrifice her own well-being. The moment he spoke of the deal, her choice was made.

Only a fool would believe anything that comes out of that snake's mouth, and she isn't going to bend to his will.

Vincent thinks he has Ria in the palms of his hands with this idiotic arrangement. For now, she'll pretend to agree to his plan. She'll let him think she's willing to sacrifice Ashton's freedom for her and Vivian's, and when he least expects it, Ria is going to make him suffer the way he deserves.

A foolproof plan hasn't circulated through her mind yet, but she imagines it'll be along the lines of making him admit to some of his heinous crimes. Vincent loves to blabber and gloat about his criminal record. He loves hurting people wherever he goes. If she can find a way to flawlessly set him up, in due time, she'll be the one reveling in his pain.

I wonder what my therapist would say about this.

A soft laugh breathes from her lips and she stares hard at her boots. The pain still lingers and tortures her, but turns into tendrils of hatred instead. Hatred for Vincent. A taste for revenge for everything he took from her.

Pain into hatred. Hatred into revenge.

As she's pacing and waiting for Sophia, her phone buzzes in her coat pocket. She fishes it out with gloved hands to find Chris calling. Easing back one of her gloves, she picks up with a soft hello.

"Hey, baby. Still at therapy?"

"No," she sighs while scanning the surrounding area dusted with flurries. "I'm just waiting for Sophia to pick me up. She's probably stuck in traffic or something."

"Sweet. Jared is leaving so I'm here alone," he speaks gently. "I wanted to know when you'd be here...I kind of have a surprise for you."

"A surprise?" With her bottom lip drawn between her teeth, she anxiously bites the soft flesh as guilt cascades her vulnerable heart. "I actually wanted to talk to you about something."