For better or for worse

Shopping, during Christmas, in Nashville, at a mall, is a literal nightmare. People pushed others back and forth, some even getting in riots to the point that the Mall Security had to get involved. Hunter had an arm around my waist, making sure we didn’t get lost, or split up in the excitement. We hadn’t gotten anything for anyone yet, due to the fact we all felt like crowded animals in a stockyard sale.

“Maybe we should just go. This place is too crowded; I don’t want to lose you in the mess.” Hunter says to me, being his protective self.

“When are we going to Christmas shop then?” I asked him, trying to be heard over all the commotion that surrounded us.

“I don’t know, but not today.” He says, just as we see two women getting in an all out fist fight over something.

We somehow were able to get out of the mall, only to find the parking lot to be in utter chaos as well. People jump out in front of movie vehicles, almost causing an accident just to try and get inside the mall. Hunter moves his hand from my waist, and grabs my own hand, pulling me close to him. “Careful.” He says softly.

Before we were able to step off the sidewalk and onto the parking lot, I see flashing lights. Not flashing lights, as in cops, but flashing lights as in a Paparazzi. He comes closer, still snapping pictures of Hunter and I, as if his life depended on it.

“Ignore him, Z.” Hunter whispers.

I nod my head, trying my best not to look at the camera. It wasn’t long before three more pop up out of nowhere, while Hunter and I weren’t able to get to the car. All four of them, and their flashing cameras, come closer and closer. They immediately start shooting questions at us, asking about the baby. If it were a boy or girl, when he/she was due, when I found out I was pregnant. They were making it close to impossible to leave the parking lot at this point.

“Where’s the scar on your forehead from, Siana?” One asks, practically sticking the camera in my face.

I hold my breath, staying quiet as I say a silent prayer, hoping that one of these drivers would stop and allow Hunter and I to find our car.

“Did Hunter hit you? Is that what happened?” Another asks, taking a picture of Hunter’s grim expression.

I now find myself staring at the ground, willing myself to not let the questions get to me. I knew Hunter would never hit me. Ever. But that didn’t mean that the question didn’t get to me.

“Come on,” Hunter says, quickly pulling me into the parking lot.

I cling to his arm, as if I would disappear if I were to let go of him. We walk across the parking lot; pap’s following us as we do so. They kept shooting questions at us, and I felt scared when one jumps in front of me, taking pictures of my baby bump.

“Is the baby Hunter’s? Rumor has it that while Hunter was on tour you had a guy friend, care to answer some questions?”

My throat went dry and my heart began to beat against my ribcage like a drum. I realized that they had been talking about Jake, who I hadn’t seen since November.

“No, no questions.” Hunter practically growls at the short Paparazzi, looking angry.

I don’t think I would have kept walking if Hunter wasn’t there to guide me to the car. I could feel the anger that burned within him, and I couldn’t help but feel guilty in a way. It was my fault that I was caught with Jake in public, though I would never cheat on Hunter, and it was somewhat my fault that I had a nasty scar right on my forehead.

When we get in the car, he unlocks it and has me get in the passenger seat. I sit down, letting him close the door. He pushes through the Pap’s that blocked his path, then gets in the driver’s seat, locking the doors.

They all kept snapping pictures of us, even though the lights from the cameras glared off the tinted windows of our vehicle. I sat in utter silence, watching as Hunter ran his hands through his hair in frustration. I didn’t know what to say, I didn’t know what to do, so I just sat with my hands against my belly.

“They have no right.” He mumbles, watching as the paparazzo’s give up on us, then walk away. “I’m so sorry, Siana.” He says to me, staring out at the parking lot.

I was shocked to see his eyes having tears in them. He was crying, over something so simple.

“No, no, no,” I whisper, reaching for his hand. “Don’t be sorry Hunter, its ok, it happens.” I say, trying to comfort him.

He shakes his head no, now looking out his window. “I don’t want this for you, Z. I don’t want you to be asked questions like that, it’s not fair.”

“I don’t care Hunter. If this is what comes along with being married to you, then so be it. I love you, don’t beat yourself up over something this.” I hold his hand in mine, and I feel like we’ve literally switched places. Usually, I’m the one broken up about something, and he’s the one who is there to pick me up.

He looks over at me, and then looks down at our hands, tears dripping from his eyes. “I love you to, but this still isn’t right. I don’t want to have to worry about going out and being surrounded by the paps.”

“For better or for worse.” I say softly.

“What?” He mumbles, looking at me with puffy, irritated looking eyes.

I grin, tapping my finger against his wedding ring, a replica to mine. “I said, for better or for worse. In our vows, we basically promised each other we would go through everything together, for better or for worse. This is for worse, I guess, but I’m willing to go through it. I love you, Hunny bear.” I giggled at the last part, seeing the huge grin that had stretched across his handsome features.

He brings my hand up to his lips and kisses it. “I love you more.”

When we get home, I immediately sit down on the sofa, tired from the excitement we endured. Hunter sits down next to me, laying a hand on my leg absentmindedly. I lay my head against his shoulder, looking up at the side of his face, him staring at the blank TV screen.

“The, uh, guy friend that they were talking about. It was just Jake.” I say, wanting to clear up anything and everything.

“Siana, you don’t have to explain anything.” He says to me, shaking his head.

“But I want too.” I say softly.

He turns to look at me, nodding his head. “Then I want to hear.” He says, now holding one of my hands in his.

When I explain to him I had only run into Jake while taking Charlie for a walk, and the most we did was linked arms, he immediately believes me. He had no interest in taking what the pap’s said as the truth, so of course he would believe me.

“For the record, Siana, I know you’d never cheat on me.” He says, after I finish talking. “I know you. I also know you love me, and that you’re truthful. You’re amazing.” He whispers, grinning at me like a fool.

His hand reaches up to touch my face and I smile as well when he pulls me in for a kiss. I felt electricity pulse through me when his lips touch mine, with the reaction of me wrapping my arms around his neck loosely, butterflies dancing in my stomach.

Our moments seemed to always be ruined when Charlie comes into the picture, though. She jumps up on the sofa, more like on Hunter, causing him to pull away from me.

“You dog, are asking for it.” He says, pointing a finger at her nose.

I burst into laughter as I watch her lick him right on the face, sliming a good portion of it.

“Want to kiss me now?” He asks, not bothering to wipe any of it off.

“No!” I wheeze with laughter, shaking my head no.

He laughs, pushing the dog off him and wiping his face off with his shirt. “Didn’t think so.”

A/N: Dedicated to jojocart because she helped me with some of this :D

<3

~Mad