s e v e n t e e n

Start from the beginning

Naomi reluctantly broke eye contact, picking up her glass and placing it up to her lips. Taking a sip, she sighed contently at the bitter, but exquisite taste. "How about you? What school(s) did you attend?" She asked.

"I graduated from Jackson State University with a dual major in Economics and Finance. My whole life, I was groomed by my father to run the family business. I didn't really need to go get a second degree." She nodded, impressed. "How does a Houston girl get here to Seattle?" He switched the conversation.

Her eyes floated back onto him as she took another sip and shrugged her shoulders lightly. "By chance and opportunity." She answered simply, not really knowing what else to tell him. She was lucky, and it takes an insurmountable luck to make it out of poverty.

Noticing her change in tone, he decided to change the topic. "Let's play 21 questions, Naomi."

Naomi threw her head back in laughter, not sure what was even so funny. Rolling her eyes playfully, she looked at Zeke and giggled lightly. "How old are we?"

Zeke kissed his teeth, gulping down his glass of wine and turning his body fully towards her. The sun kissed their melanin, shining Love onto the both of them. Naomi was really a believer in the sun being pro-black.

"Seriously, I think it's a good idea." He said seriously.

Naomi looked to see if he was really serious, and he was. After finishing her own glass of wine, she nodded and turned her body as well. Somehow, her shoes were off her feet. Maybe because they were heels and she couldn't afford to fall over into the water.

Ask some tough questions, girl.

"Ok, you first." She said.

"Hmm," Zeke hummed, and rubbed his chin as if he were in deep thought. Naomi dramatically looked at her watch causing him to chuckle. "Ok, ok. Umm, what's your favorite food?"

"BBQ Ribs." She responded with no hesitation.

"A true southern girl," A half smile quirked onto his face.

"Mhmmm.." She nodded her head. "What's yours?" She asked, genuinely interested.

He looks like a steak type of fella.

Or... some seafood.

"Chicken skrips." He answered, mocking Nia's perky and adorable voice. Zeke has seen Naomi chuckle, but to see her double over in laughter was astounding. Her brown cheeks turned a rosey red as she covered her mouth, attempting to recover. She was definitely a little tipsy.

Bitch, you can't hold your liquor for nothing.

"I'm sorry.. That was funny." Naomi said as she wiped a cheerful tear that escaped her eyes.

"Don't apologize." He grinned. "But, that's my favorite food. Ever since I was about six, chicken strips has been my thing. But, I also love some Chicago pizza."

Naomi nodded in agreement. "I've had some Chicago pizza and I wasn't let down by any means. I was very impressed. New York? Not so much."

"Everything's better in Chitown." He smiled warmly at her. "Ok, next question. When you're not the business woman or performing motherly duties, what do you do?"