"Walking Corpse" Crossover

Dedicated to Kim X. (@libellule_)! Also if you haven't read Walking Corpse, do it! This is the ultimate crossover of books, lmao.

~~~

Kai and Dakota Chariot took to the warm and sunny streets of Los Angeles for their second anniversary. Though Kai, wishing to purchase a vinyl record for his partner, left her at the hotel while he went to a local record shop. It was supposedly the best in town.

    Upon entering the cozy place that smelled of ancient paper and incense, Kai immediately looked around for the large section of records at the back. Only a few people were in the store now, and just three of five of them were customers. He could faintly hear jazz playing above him.

    Leisurely walking to the back and absentmindedly fumbling with the zipper of his jacket, Kai at first tried to avoid the other woman there. Though since he'd never handled a vinyl record before, seeing the packed categories and shelves was overwhelming. The woman, though not an employee, had the air and manner of having been there on several occasions. She already held two records and searched through the categories and artists with ease. Not to mention he didn't know what to get Dakota and she was a woman with obviously good taste.

    Still taking slow, cautious steps, Kai headed for her as she flipped through some classic rock records. The way she held herself was all too cool and it made even Kai nervous. She wore a leather jacket and ripped jeans with a brown messenger bag strapped over her shoulder. She had nails as dark as coffee grinds and lips painted like cherries. Her sunglasses concealed her eyes and her light chocolate hair was cut to her shoulders with a slightly messy look - the kind that made her look like some badass rocker chick.

    "Uh...excuse me?" he cleared his throat. Keen ears picked him up quickly and she looked at him through the shady lenses over her eyes.

    "Yeah?"

    So casual, so cool. Yet something about her was also peculiarly kind so Kai still trusted her answers.

    "I'm, uh, trying to pick something out for my wife. I'm having trouble and you seem a little more...seasoned."

    The woman broke out into a smile which caught Kai slightly off guard.

    "Sure. What does she like?"

    With quicker steps than before, Kai spun on his heel and marched off to the place he thought he saw pop and pop rock music.

    "Hm. Which ones does she have?"

    "The Fray and The Script. The self-titled ones."

    "Hm," mumbled the woman again. "Well, I don't see those here, so you're in luck. Though I think I know some similar artists."

    Kai shuffled his feet as he watched her expertly flip through the records. Eventually, his mind wandered off to other things and another album caught his eye. It was OneRepublic's Oh My My. He knew Dakota liked them a lot too and suddenly grabbed the top of it and showed the woman.

    "Hey, she likes them. They're similar, right?"

    The other turned her head, though as soon her eyes caught sight of what was in Kai's hand, her cheeks were tinged red a moment.

    "Uh---"

    She'd suddenly lost her composure and it immediately made Kai curious.

    "Yeah. They're good. You should get that one."

    "What is it?" he inquired. The woman shook her head and attempted to hide her face from view. He couldn't help but smirk and peer at her.

    "Got a crush on one of them?"