Flounders Fields

"Release her." Jacksons voice isn't strong, but I admire that he still has the courage to tell them that. I'm really putting him to the test by taking her place, I can sense how hard it was him to come to terms to have to whip me six times. Now it's twelve. Lindsay's wide eyes stare at me. I notice her cheeks are glistening. Ma stands in the crowd, watching just like everyone else, but she seems proud.

"I'm sorry!" Lindsay cries out. She is kneeling in front of me. I put my hand under her chin, raising he eyes to meet mine.

"Don't be sorry. It was my choice." She is hyperventilating. I pull my shirt over my head. My wings are not seen. I found how to hide them. I walk and kneel in front of the post. I lift my hands above my head and I feel the cool silver of the cuffs closing around them. It stings, and I know that the silver is drawing Eve back to me. My hands aren't healing the blisters. I cannot heal when any of my body parts are touching silver.

"This punishment will be twelve lashes. Six minutes for you for accepting and fighting a challenge that hadn't been brought to my attention. Six because you took you opponents place. I will count down." Jackson talks.

"12." And I feel the pressure of the whip on my back, I don't cry out. I hardly move. It hurts like a bitch. I'm glad it's dark out so they can't see any of my other scars.

"11." I feel it more this time, my body begs for me to fall but I don't.

"10." And it's worse now, Evangeline, the Angel in me is quiet, as she knows I don't want anyone to know of us yet.

"9." I can hear Lindsay's cries.

"8." I can feel the pitying stares thrown at me.

"7." My body convulses, I just about fall forward. I use my hands and push my back out. I grimace, the pain is in my wrists now, distraction pain.

"6." And for a fleeting second I think this is over.

"5." And I close my eyes, letting my pain of Dallas dying out.

"4." And I scream, a scream laced with pain.

"3." I let the thought of my miscarriage leave me.

"2." I fall into the wood, resting my face against the post, the wood cool.

"1." And I completely let go. I fall forward and I can here Lindsay's cries get louder. People I don't know rush forward to free me. The chains are released and I fall, rolling over and landing on my back. Help me now. I tell the other parts of me. But they won't help me. Because we still haven't found who we are all together. I sigh, the pain is numbing me, numbing the voices. And the worst feeling I'm feeling is that I'm welcoming the pain.

Everyone is running around me in a flurry of motions. Some are touching me, some are staring at me, mouths agape, some are turning in a circle and walking away from me, and there is Ma looking at me with so much pride it seems as though I may have done something right. And Jackson, Jackson isn't moving. He's frozen. I don't think he's breathing.

I get up, Lance is yelling at me to stay down. I stay up, and I walk towards Jackson. Calmly. He stares at me, a lot of people are staring at me. His lower lip trembles, and I raise my hand to his lip, I trace my thumb along his lower lip and I feel the mate bond running through both of us with how close we are.

"I'm so sorry Everly." He whispers. Where is the strong man I saw earlier this day? Maybe it is true that mates make their mates weak.

"Don't be. You did what you had to do." I reply. "Heal me." I say and pass out in his arms.

When I wake up, my room is covered in red roses, red as blood. Reminding of Flounders Fields. I look at my hands and notice that there is no blisters, any sign of a burn is gone. I sit up, my back doesn't hurt. 'Thank you Eve.' I tell her, I get no reply but I can feel her presence, and she seems curious. That is better then nothing. All the roses make this hospital room smell better, less disinfectant like. I enjoy that because I'm not a very big fan of hospitals. I let out a deep breathe. I'm alive to live another day.

"Everly?" I hear Lance say. "You should talk to Jackson, he hasn't been himself since punishment."

"I will, it was only fair, it was totally up to me." I reply. He merely nods his head and leaves. Ma enters the room, right after him.

"Hello my dear, how are you feeling?" She asks me.

"I'm fine, honest."

"I know. I wanted to tell you I am proud of you, four times yesterday you acted like a true Luna would. A strong Luna, not normal Luna's we see nowadays. I am happy my Jackson found you. He deserves a mate after all he's been through." Her eyes shine with the pride she is telling me about.

"How did I make you so proud?" I ask her.

"First of all dear, you couldn't find oven gloves, but you carried hot pots out to the dining room anyway. You were last to eat, you let everyone eat before you, and when a little girl was crying because there was no more buns, you have her yours when you only had little to eat."

"But that's not fair, you fed me before everyone else ate." I tell her.

"True enough dear. But not much people would receive so little to give half of it away, look at the bigger picture." And I do. I step out of the box I am in, and look at what I did with a new theory. "You saw the women who were designated to clean up the dishes for that day, and you helped them, washing the dishes while you were injured. You should've healed, and I don't know why you didn't hit that is not my place to question."

"Anyone would've done that."

"No. Not anyone would have done that." I feel like I should tell her the truth, tell her I was being reckless because I wanted to feel pain, tell her I deserved pain. "You fought with Lindsay like a true Luna would, you are so strong, in human form. I do not know where your wolf was, but you took Lindsay down, without shifting. That was amazing, not many wolves can do that in human form, even some Alphas have trouble with that. But you demanded her to shift, and when she didn't obey you, you made sure she listened. You made sure she shifted. I could tell you were hurt, I do not know how you did not get seriously injured, but I believe that the Moon Goddess is with you. You had power radiating off of you. And when you were both to be punished, you took Lindsay's punishment with your own, you protected her like a true Luna would. I admire that my dear." I want to tell of everything that has happened, put my soul and spirit into hands, she reminds me so much of my mother, the Goddess. Then it strikes me, from the minute I got here I have been calling her Ma.

"What's your name?" I bluntly ask her. She smiles a find smile at me.

"Chandra." That means moon shining I think.

"Beautiful name." I tell her smiling. Hide the pain behind the smile.