Chapter 37 - "Beckingham Palace!"

Start from the beginning

He let out a weary chuckle.

"I don't like that name either," he said.

"Yeah, you try to come up with nicknames for yourself. The only one I have left is Beth but it's weak and really doesn't fit your personality."

"It also happens to be a girl's name."

Elliot shrugged.

"Come up with something better then."

Beck put his head in his hands, letting out a tired breath. Elliot laid the Slinky aside and leaned over her knees, a worried frown moving onto her face.

"Steinbeck, you going to pen me into your thoughts or do I have to plot through the rest of the day trying to figure it out?"

Beck pulled his gaze up from the floor and looked at her. The concern in her hazel eyes dragged him from his own troubled thoughts. He leaned back on the couch, successfully disrupting his hair once more with his fingers.

"It's my mom," he said, slowly.

"What's wrong? Is she alright?" Elliot asked, suddenly on the edge of the couch.

He raised his hand, cutting off her tirade of concerns.

"She's fine," he said. "It was just a rougher night than usual and I'm worried. That's all. Nothing serious. She has ups and downs. This is just a down day."

She nodded, her eyes jumping to his phone.

"That's why you're so distracted."

He crossed his arms and gave a single nod.

"Then what are you doing here, you noodle?!" she asked.

Beck burst out laughing, the sound dashing away a piece of his worry. Elliot smiled as his laugh bounced around the room.

"I think I like Beth over that one," he said.

"Still doesn't suit you."

Beck shook his head and looked back at his computer, the smile slowly falling away.

"Beck, I'm serious. What are you doing here? Go home."

"El, it's-"

"Beth, if you don't go home, I will fire you."

Beck's mouth twitched at a smile. She stared at him, her resolve unwavering. Beck's expression softened and he dropped her gaze. Slowly, he shut and packed up his computer. As he stood, he looked back at Elliot.

"Thanks," he said.

She gave him a half smile. "Of course."

He left, the door clicking shut behind him. She listened as his footsteps faded in the stairway. After a long moment of sitting in the silence of the office, she looked over at her computer. With a determined scowl, she pulled it onto her lap. The cursor blinked at her, patiently waiting for words. She began typing, doing what she could to muffle the quiet.

After an hour, in which she couldn't remember what she wrote and her gaze had jumped to Beck's empty spot over a hundred times, she closed her computer. She grabbed her purse and left the office, locking it behind her.

She jogged across the street and entered the sanctuary of the Common, the thick tree branches providing cover from the sun. Halfway through the Common she stopped and turned back to the office.

After taking a couple steps she stopped, the emptiness of the office halting her. With a troubled frown, she turned around again and continued towards the cafe.