Chapter 16 - I've Run Out Of People For Now

Time froze for a second. No one knew what to say or do.
"Kodie, Peter! Take your friends and guard the library doors!" Marrisa commanded as she fought back tears. With help from Mary and Amy, she scooped up Jackie and carried her into the library. They laid her on the floor, and everyone crowded round. Jackie was fading away quickly, but she could faintly hear her many names being called.
"Jackie?"
"Jack o lantern?"
"gurlo?"
"unicorn Llama person?"
"jackiechanicorn?"
"Jackie Chan?"
"Jacko?"
"unicorn?"
"best friend?"
"wife?"
"Jacqueline?!"
Everyone was so sad to see her so still and silent. Her colour from her face was draining away. Will gently cradled her head in his arms, while Mary squeezed her right hand. Amy hugged her left arm, and Linda, Deimante and Tanisha kneeled down by her legs. The remaining members of the squad comforted each other as they watched Jackie disappear forever. Will began to cry, and his tears fell onto her face. His tears were followed by many others, even from Marrisa, who never cries. It was awful. So awful that nobody noticed one tiny little move. Her breathing.. It was coming back! Mary saw it first, and she gasped very loudly.
"SHE'S BREATHING! SHE'S BREATHING, I SAW HER!"
Everyone looked up, and Mary was right. Everyone was finally given hope. They called out to Jackie.
"come on Jackie!"
"hold on there!"
"stay strong, you're gonna make it!"
Jackie's hearing was coming back, and she fought as hard as she could as she received all of the support. Her eyes flickered open, and everyone erupted. Her hearing wasn't back completely, so she could only hear Will.
" best friend, you're OK! Thank god! Oh, best friend!" his smile was huge. She smiled back, which was less of a struggle. Her strength was coming back.
"you're alive? But how?" Ryan asked, pretending (and failing) to sound disappointed. Jackie lifted up her top.
"bullet proof vest. I found it, and instead of letting us all argue over it, I took it so I could protect you lot. I blacked out on the impact, but I'm fine now. Well, y'know, I'm not fine, but I'll live."
Everyone beamed and wiped away their tears as she slowly got up. Mary and Amy helped her onto her feet, and Marrisa sped to the door. She called Peter, Kodie and their groups, and they were relieved. Even Kodie smiled to know Jackie was alright. They were all happy, except for one person. Milo. He stormed up to Jackie. She was shocked to see how angry he was.
"Milo, what's wrong?"
"who did this?! Who shot you Jacqueline?"
"well, I, err.. I don't know. It wasn't anyone from our squad. I didn't see who it was-"
"I'M GONNA KILL THEM!" he shouted. He threw open the library doors. Everyone followed him in confusion and shock. What was this all about?! 😅😄😠