How to make Dua Reminder #14

5 - Sending blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Every du'aa' is kept back until you send blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)." Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Awsat, 1/220; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami', 4399.

6 - Facing towards the qiblah.

Muslim (1763) narrated that 'Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: On the day of Badr, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) looked at the mushrikeen, who were one thousand strong, and his companions numbered three hundred and nineteen. Then the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) turned to face the qiblah, then he stretched forth his hands and started to cry out to his Lord: "O Allaah, grant me what You have promised me, O Allaah, give me what You have promised me. O Allaah, if this small band of Muslims perishes, You will not be worshipped on earth." He kept on crying out to his Lord, stretching forth his hands, facing towards the qiblah, until his cloak fell from his shoulders...

al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Muslim: This shows that it is mustahabb to face towards the qiblah when making du'aa', and to raise the hands.

7 - Raising the hands.

Abu Dawood (1488) narrated that Salmaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Your Lord, may He be blessed and exalted, is Kind and Most Generous, and He is too kind to let His slave, if he raises his hands to Him, bring them back empty." Classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 1320.

The palm of the hand should be raised heavenwards, in the manner of a humble beggar who hopes to be given something. Abu Dawood (1486) narrated from Maalik ibn Yasaar (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "When you ask of Allaah, ask of Him with the palms of your hands, not with the backs of them."

(Classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 1318.)

Should the hands be held together when raising them or should there be a gap between them?

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) stated in al-Sharh al-Mumti' (4/25) that they should be held together. What he said is: "As for separating them and holding them far apart from one another, there is no basis for that in the Sunnah or in the words of the scholars." End quote.

8 - Having certain faith that Allaah will respond, and focusing with proper presence of mind, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Call upon Allaah when you are certain of a response, and remember that Allaah will not answer a du'aa' that comes from a negligent and heedless heart."

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3479; classed as hasan by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 2766.)