Mate of Honor Ch. 8

So the plot thickens.... I think yall will really like this chapter, the story is really getting deeper into the plot already. I didn't even suspect to take it in this direction. Anyways, enjoy and remember to vote and comment, this is up for the watty awards!

            The car drifted along the road filled with silence as Roxie refused to speak to the handsome wolf beside her in the driver’s seat. Hunter just stared forward at the road smiling as he hummed along to the songs drifting from the radio. Faith Hill sung softly and he could swear Roxie was humming just low enough he couldn’t hear. Half way through the song she finally mouthed the words and then began to sing capturing his ears with her voice.

            “You get any more perfect and the angels are going to shoot you down for so far outshining them.”

            Roxie’s mouth clamped shut, her cheeks flushing red. “Quit it. I don’t want to be here listening to your horrid attempts at charming me.”

            Hunter laughed, “Horrid? Is that why you’re turning red?”

            Turning to look out the window so he couldn’t see her face Roxie bit her lip. She had to admit to herself at least, she was flattered. “I’m not turning red. You should be paying attention to the road.”

            “What if I’d rather look at your beautiful face? I think that’s much more interesting than a boring old road.” Hunter grinned to hear her giggle though her body stayed stiff as she resisted. He was getting to her. A little at a time was all he needed.

            “Where’s the next place, it should be the second to last right?” Roxie reached back grabbing the map off the center console. “Or third to last works to… they should be looking at these themselves.”

            “Maybe they wanted to give us time alone.” Hunter reminded her knowing he was right. Ethan had flat out told him so, even given him tips on back roads he could take to make the trip longer.

            “They’d better watch it if they ever want my blessing.” Roxie muttered knowing she’d never deny them it in the end no matter how much she threatened it.

            “You wouldn’t do that to your own twin.”

            “I wouldn’t do that to my own sister.” Roxie corrected him. “There, up ahead, turn right.”

            “Yes ma’am,” Hunter turned into the drive up to a small ranch.

            Roxie took one look and shook her head. “No way, this is not one of the options. Turn this car around right now.”

            Hunter glanced at the Ranch house and frowned. “Why? It’s nice, homey, and large enough for everything and everyone. What’s wrong with it?”

            “It’s, um…” Roxie glanced at the wide front porch with small hanging ferns twisting in the winds. “It’s nice, but…” She watched a blonde girl in a blue dress watering the ferns with a indulgent frown. “I don’t think Rosie will like it. She shouldn’t come here.”

            Hunter followed Roxie’s gaze to the porch. The blonde was about their age with blue eyes and fair skin, blonde hair falling in waves just to her shoulders. She didn’t glance their way, even once, putting all concentration into watering the plants. “Do you know her?”

            “No,” Roxie watched the girl with careful eyes keeping track of the cautious movements. “I don’t know her. Can we leave now?”