Chapter 32: Midnight Encounters

Start from the beginning

It didn’t take Haruna more than a few minutes before she emerged from the store again. She didn’t say anything to Rina and simply grabbed her wrist, pulling her away from the store quickly. The two girls were a safe distance away when Haruna finally stopped and let go of Rina.

She turned to face the confused teenager before digging in her bag. She pulled out a small packet and tossed it in Rina’s direction. The younger girl caught it with ease, examining the packet. It was just a small package of cashews, not much but something that would definitely put some food in Rina’s stomach. While Rina was grateful for the food, she looked up and pouted at Haruna.

“You stole this, didn’t you?” Rina asked in a saddened tone. Haruna was now holding another bag of cashews. She cocked her head to the side in wonder.

“Yes I did,” Haruna admitted truthfully. She didn’t see the deal with it; it’s not as if this was the first time she had taken something. She knew Rina didn’t like her stealing but if she hadn’t done this then Rina would have gone two days without food. Haruna was not about to let that happen. It was either steal or starve and Haruna didn’t intend for it to be the latter. 

“I didn’t ask you to steal for me,” Rina said with another pout. She hated it when Haruna blatantly stole like that without thinking. What if she got caught one day? Rina didn’t even want to think about the possibility of Haruna going to prison; she wouldn’t be able to handle it. Just the thought tore Rina’s heart apart.

“Look, I’m sorry, okay? But we have no money,” Haruna pointed out. Rina whimpered softly, clutching the package in her hand tighter. They didn’t have any money anymore and that was her fault. Haruna’s stealing was her fault. “I promise that I will make us more soon but until then we need to eat. What else are we to do if we don’t have money for food?”

“But… What if… What if you get caught?”

“I won’t get caught. I’m smarter than that,” Haruna told her. Rina wanted to believe her but the fear stayed in her heart. Haruna saw this too and she sighed softly. “It’s only temporary, Rina. Until we get more money and then the food stealing will stop. I promise.”

Rina nodded in agreement, her mood perking up a bit. She pulled open the package of cashews, beginning to pop a few in her mouth. She really was grateful to Haruna for giving her food. The cashews were small and she knew they wouldn’t fill her up much but to the teenager who hadn’t eaten in 24 hours, these small nuts tasted like heaven. She hadn’t realized just how starving she had really been until she had started eating the small snack.

From beside her, Haruna was cautiously eating the same snack as Rina. She was hesitant to eat. She as well had not eaten in quite some time; Madoka and Ken’ichi were withholding food from her as further punishment for her fight. There was part of her that was almost scared she wouldn’t be able to hold down even the tiniest of food right now; her body seemed to be doing fine so far though.

Haruna’s mind began to wander back to her aunt and uncle. How would they react to this tomorrow? She was assuming that they would have a place for Rina by tomorrow and she would be forced to go home. She wanted Rina off the streets but at the same time, needing to protect Rina out here was a good excuse for her not to go home to those monsters. The thought of what those two could do to her for staying out all night without telling them almost made Haruna visibly shiver but she held it back; now was not the time to be showing weak emotions. She knew these people out here targeted the weak and the last thing she intended to do was make her and Rina a target.

Haruna sighed softly as the young girl made her way back into Haruna’s mind. Haruna could still remember the first time she had met Rina; she could still remember hating the annoying and clingy girl. Haruna still was unable to forgive herself for all the harsh words she said to Rina and all the time she had hit her. The bullying had only lasted two months before Rina managed to capture Haruna’s heart but it was enough history to tear at Haruna whenever she thought about the terrible things she had done to Rina.