Chapter 17

I rush through the halls with Shirayuki, wanting to smack the Hell out of the foolish silver-haired moron. "That idiot must've signed that paper on accident," I told Shirayuki. "But did he really right it?," she asked. I shook my head, stopping at the corner.

"If it is real and we leave, there's a low chance of ever seeing him again," I point out, spotting out some guards. "We have to hear him say it...," she says, rushing past the guards.

We barely make it past before someone says, "You there, stop." Two guards make their way over to us. "Hm. Interesting hair color. Are you the girl they call Shirayuki?" "I am," she answers.

I'm about to bolt the heck out of there but stop as I see a familiar face. "Hey! I haven't seen you in ages!," I exclaim, pulling Shirayuki behind me. His eyes widen. "Princess Akemi! How long has it been? 2? 3 years?" I laugh. "Man, we should spar sometime," I say.

"That'd be great," he says, "My girls have been talking about seeing you again. Funny how they still remember you." I nod my head. "I'll visit you sometime," I say, smiling.

He turns back to Shirayuki. "I've been informed that you are a guest of the Prince. My apologies. I didn't mean to frighten you." "No, that's okay, "Shirayuki says, turning to him. "No problem here. False alarm."

The guard turns back to the other two and they walk off. "Damn, that was close," I whisper, "But they didn't notice anything, so that note must've been fake." We start running again, but Shirayuki trips on air. "Shoot." I pick up her bag, pulling her up. 

We make our way to some stairs, running in a spiral. My eyes receive a glint and I stop , blocking Shirayuki. An arrow lands right in front of us, missing us by a hair. I glare at the figure that shot it but it's already gone.

Shirayuki takes the green band of cloth tied on it. "Intruders, you are no longer welcome as guests of the Prince. You have been warned. Leave at once." My eyes widen. "These people are sure trying hard. Be careful, they might go as far as throwing daggers." "Why would someone in this castle go through such lengths to keep us from seeing him?" 

"I don't know, but we have to find him," I say, tugging the arrow out. We continue running, making it to the top of the stairs and into the second floor. "Shirayuki! Akemi!," Zen's voice yells from behind us. Oh, thank the lord.

As I turn my head, I see another glimmer, coming from the tree. As Zen makes his way over to us, I see a look of shock on the guy's face. He's holding a blade, most likely the one who shot the arrow.

"I thought you left, Akemi. And why are you both running," Zen asked. "Zen...," Shirayuki says, quickly grabbing the arrow and holding it behind her back. "What are you two still doing in the palace?" 

I glance over at the tree again, but seeing that the figure had disappeared. "Oh, Akemi left her book earlier," Shirayuki answers. "Is that all? Then why be in a hurry," he questions. Dammit.

"Are you sure you're telling me everything?" Shirayuki begins to speak but I stop her, knowing she'll probably mess this up. "Yep. Can I have my book back?," I ask.

"Sure, but first, what's the story behind the arrow?," he asks, tilting his body to look at the weapon. We both tense up.