Chapter 7

Lily, the wolf that I had rescued when I was a child, had found and joined me on my walk, along with her 5 brothers and sisters. Her mom had passed away a few years ago, but she died happy.

I spun around in a little circle and hummed a little tune. "The air seems to flow differently here than in town. I actually prefer this much better," Shirayuki says, leaning on a nearby tree.

"I couldn't agree more." I turned spun around, still smiling. "Aw~Look who isn't all bluff and aggressive." Zen blushed.

"Ow. It hurts." I looked to Shirayuki. She had some of her hair stuck on the tree. 

Zen and I walked over to her. "Oh. looks like your hair's caught," he said, "You have a strand that's longer than the others."

This is exactly why I didn't agree with you cutting your hair.

"Huh? I must have missed that piece earlier. Uh, hey Zen? Could you cut it off for me?," she asked timidly. "Huh." "It doesn't have to be straight."

Zen smirked, walking away, shrugging. "Possibly. But I'll only do it if you answer a question for me. Did cutting your hair have something to do with why you ran away from home? If you tell me the reason, maybe then I can help you."

"You're a terrible person," Shirayuki said, making Zen smile.

~~~~~~~~~~

"You were ordered to be concubines?!" We were sitting on a tree trunk. Shirayuki and I had just finished explaining what happened.

"Yes. By a very famous boy. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but he learnt to speak in the red light district," Shirayuki said.

"He thought our hair was unusual, so he wanted to keep it for himself like a prize. If we had obeyed his order, it would have been just like he was buying an apple and a dragon fruit at the fruit seller," I finished, bouncing a baby rabbit on my lap.

"Akemi..." "So, that's why," I started, gesturing Shirayuki. "I thought that I'd at least give him part of what he wanted, and I left my hair behind." "And I left him with a broken heart."

Zen started laughing while hitting his leg with a fist. "That was ingenious thinking! Good job escaping from that dunce. It's your lucky red after all." 

Shirayuki made a confused look and I explained it for her. "Color has meaning. Red is supposed to represent fate. You might now like your hair now, but it might lead to something good when you least expect it." "Your pink eyes represent romance," Zen said.

My black hair represents death, evil, and aggression. The pink makes sense, though. I've been in quite a lot of relationships...of course none of them really worked out, but it was fun while it lasted.

"You two have an amazing outlook." "Oh~Some respect," i taunted.

~~~~~~~~~~

We were walking back to the cottage and due to my enhanced eyesight, I could see a basket in front of the door.

It had a piece of cloth draped over it. I quickly ran to the door and Zen followed. "What's this?," I asked myself. 

I examined it and noticed something was tied to it. It was the ribbon that Shirayuki tied her cut hair with. "That's the ribbon I had tied to my hair," Shirayuki explained to Zen, with a scared look on her face. 

Surprised, Zen shifted the basket, making the cloth fall out. In the basket were a bunch of apples and a yellow rose.

~~~~~(Nope, The Chapter Hasn't Ended Yet)~~~~~

"So you're from Tanbarun I see?," Zen asked, waving around the card that was in the basket. I nodded, getting an apple and taking a bite. Shirayuki was playing with the ribbon, a sad look in her eyes.

"Meaning the person that dropped off this basket traveled all the way to the border just to find you two." He stops waving around the card. 

"He's a determined fellow. I'll give him that much," Zen says with a calm smile, making me almost laugh. Shirayuki laughed nervously and Zen, with an angry look on his face, points the card at her and yells, "This isn't a joke! How bad was it that you were forced to flee the kingdom?!"

Shirayuki winced at his tone. I replied to him, "We had to leave because of who he is." Zen scoffed. "Someone powerful," Shirayuki said. "The first prince of Tanbarun," I said boldly.

"Raj?!?!," he screamed, slamming his injured arm on the table in front of him. His eyes dulled with pain and he put his arms near his head, fingers twitching.

(Mark my words. Episode 1, 13:39...Zen dabs.)

"Th-that...r-royal...moron," Zen said, pausing between each word from the pain.

"Are you alright?," Shirayuki asked.

Too bad, I don't have a care in the world that Zen's externally dying.

"Yep, that's him. He's so stupid, all the neighboring countries know it," I said as Zen sat back down in his chair.

"I don't blame you two for running. He could doubtlessly had people everywhere tearing apart all the border crossing records."

"Do you really believe he'd go that far?," Shirayuki asked. "If there's something he wants bad enough, he probably already assumes it belongs to him."

I took a bite into a new apple, leaving only two in the basket. Shirayuki grabbed one and examined it.

I walked around the room, listening to the conversation while looking at the furniture. In the mid-end of them talking, I heard Mitsuhide and Kiki on the stairs.

I heard Zen bite into the apple and Miso Soup was suddenly spoke up. "You're so impolite, Zen." Shirayuki freaks out and Zen starts choking .

"It's her apple, Zen. Why don't you go get your own?" Zen stalks over to Miso Soup, his face a light blue from the choking.

"Why you-" Zens voice dies out as he clutches his throat. I feel a slight burn in my stomach and I let out a cough.

"You should either just eat or talk. Don't do both." "Nobody asked you! Stay out of this!," Zen said, still coughing.

"Oh, now you're just being rude," Mitsuhide says. "Zen," Shirayuki says. "What now?!" "I was being foolish. I'm sorry."

Zen looks slightly angry. "Shirayuki...I'd put that apple down if I were you." By now, the pain had subsided, but my eyes were a bit blurry.

Zen falls to his knees after groaning out Mitsuhide and Kiki's names. They run to him as he falls on his back. Thankfully, Mitsuhide catches Zen.

"The apple is poisoned," I said, as my vision dying away.