Chapter 6

Zen stood up and faced us fully. "You mind telling me who you are?" He held up his sword and placed it on his shoulder. "And what you two are doing in the woods basically all alone?"

"Oh, I just, uh, I just left my home," she takes a breath, "And we were in a hurry so we got rather lost and ended up on a random road and-" 

She was interrupted by Zen's sword in her face. He lifted her hood up and his eyes widened when he saw her red hair. It reached just below her chin since she cut it.

Zen put his sword back on his shoulder. "You have very unusually hair." "Yeah, I know, I hear that frequently."

I looked at his arm and saw that it was a bit red from the fall. Shirayuki must have noticed it too, because next thing I know, she says, "Oh your arm. It's injured." 

He looks at it and says, "Eh, I've had worse."

Freaking poison and sickness is worse than an injured arm, but you should still be worried, ya idiot.

"You're in luck. We're herbalists. I have a healing poultice you could use on it. That'll help." "No thanks."

I put on a poker face. You freakin have a chance to heal your arm, yet you don't take it. What the fudge is wrong with you?

He holds the sword in front of her.

"It could be poison or something. I'm not gonna fall for that little trick. I wasn't born yesterday, you know. Trust is something earned. Not given. In other words, we're done here." 

"He does have a valid point," I said loud enough so that only Shirayuki could hear.

"In other words, we're done here." "Oh..." So off you go then," Zen says in a singsong voice.

Hell no. He did not just say that to my friend. For all I know, Shirayuki's gonna slam her hand with his sword just to prove a point. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her look at the sword.

Are you kidding me?!

I quickly got in front of her and grabbed Zen's sword. "Hey, what are you-" 

I pulled the sword down onto my arm causing a slight pain to rush through my arm. That lasted for a second though. I let go of the sword as Zen stumbled backwards. 

There goes the ability to shoot an arrow for a week.

Kiki and Mitsuhide were looking at me with slight confusion and shock.

I grabbed the container in Shirayuki's bag and opened it. "The things I do for people," I mumbled. I rubbed the lotion-like substance on  a piece of paper and placed it on the injured part of my arm.

"Sorry to disappoint, but I'm usually the only one that carries poison."

Zen dropped his sword with a surprised gasp.  

For some reason, I started laughing and rolled around in the grass, clutching my arms to my chest. 

Mitsuhide was laughing with me. "She sure got you there Zen."

Zen crouched down in front of me and he also laughed.

I inhaled and stopped laughing, but had a smile on my face. My eyes were closed and I breathed in the air.

I sat back up and leaned my head back. "Sorry about that. My name's Zen." "This is Shirayuki. Mine's Akemi. Pleased to be your acquaintance."

An arm was moved in front of me."It's lovely to meet you, Akemi. However, I think you're at least partially responsible for my less than graceful landing." "Huh?," I said with another poker face.

~~~~~~~~~~

"No one lives in this house. But we spend time here," Zen told Shirayuki and I, as I wrapped his arm in cloth. We were in the cottage now and Zen and I were sitting on the couch while Shirayuki was sitting on the couch across form us.

 "So, the one being beaten at chess over there is Mitsuhide. The one doing the beating is Kiki," Zen said, with a closed eye smile.

Mitsuhide looked over at us with a glare. By now, my hood was off my eyes, so I could fully see him. "Zen...how can you possibly know I'm losing if you're not even paying attention to the game?"

"I can just tell," he answered, looking to the side. This left Miso Soup with angry look on his face. "I'm shellacking you," Kiki said calmly, with her cup of tea in her hand. 

I finished wrapping Zen's arm and said, "There we go. All nice and fixed. Now leave me alone to my precious injured arm," I said, starting to work on my own wound.

"Wow~You got impressive skills, Akemi," Zen said, with a satisfied look, examining his arm in front of him.

"We've been at this a while. Shirayuki did tell you we were herbalists." "Yes she did," Zen replied, putting his hand in a loose fist. "So, why would a couple of talented herbalists run away from home."

I deadpanned. "Who the hell said that I ran away from home? For all you know, I could be the flippin daughter of Death and had come to Earth to take the souls of you humans. Shirayuki could just be a hostage that I kidnapped on my journey."

He laughed. "Well, I'm pretty sure a supernatural creature can't experience pain. And you probably wouldn't be in the woods so early in the morning."

"That is true," Shirayuki said. I puffed out my cheeks. "Fine. The reason's not important. I'm gonna go outside," I said, standing up.

~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking around the forest with a smile on my face. Shirayuki was grinning and enjoying the sunshine.

Now if only I wasn't being stalked, I could actually talk to Shirayuki about things.

"Why did you come with me," I asked the silver haired boy that had followed me. "I couldn't let you two go into the woods all by your lonesome selves. That would be quite ungentlemanly of me."

"I beg your pardon," I said with groan, "But if you haven't noticed, there are 6 wolves in front of you."