Chapter 12

We had brought the stranger back to the main island, with a few of Zen's guards meeting us there. They handcuffed the brunette and prepared to take him away. A few hundred citizens had gathered at the docks, eager to see what the commotion was about.

Shirayuki, Zen, and I stood a good few feet away from them. A sudden realization seemed to hit Shirayuki's face, and she burst after the guards with her hand in her bag.

She hands the guards something. As she talks with them, I turn over to Zen. "So how have you been all these years without my hospitality?" Zen's eyes widen and he turns his head away from me just after I saw a light pink dust his cheeks.

"Well, I've been lonely to say the least, but it's good that you're back. Izana's been wanting to talk to you about something. " I laugh. "Wow, he never wanted to speak to me before. I wonder what changed his mind..."

The guards yelled something and took the stranger away, leaving Shirayuki with a concerned look on her face. Even if that was her kidnapper, she still cares for him. What a weird little apple.

~~~~~Time Skip Brought To You By Hi-Chew~~~~

The next day, Shirayuki wakes me up and tells me to get dressed. "Zen wants me to meet him at the bridge. I thought this was a great opportunity for you to go see your mother again. Have fun!"

Yawning, I sit up and rub my head as she leaves. I guess I'll go see Mother again.

Meanwhile

"From what the officials said, Mihaya doesn't seem to be connected to any bandits. He's working solo," Shirayuki says, "But just in case, I'll be much more wary of my surroundings from now on."

"That's good," I say, turning to Zen, who seemed to have an angry daydreaming face. "Are ya angry?," I ask. "No," he says, still staring off into space.

"Fine!," Shirayuki says. She then proceeds to shove Zen's shoulder, with me wincing back. "Then will you please make eye contact with us?! Ten seconds!," she says, turning Zen to promptly make eye contact-her.

"You came to rescue me! I don't have the right words, but thank y-." She's cut off by Zen's hand on her head. A blush covers her cheeks as she looks up at him.

"That's all I needed, 5 seconds," Zen said, rubbing Shirayuki's hair and turning back to the river.

"I'll admit, I was a bit upset. Especially since Akemi made it to you before me. But not with you two, though. It's really hard to explain...but I was really made at myself. The truth is that exploring life outside the castle, I learned a great deal," Zen stares at his hand, seeming to space off again.

"But after learning these things, I realized, I'm not doing enough...Shirayuki what was the answer to what that Monkey man asked earlier? What is the place you're planning on going by yourself?"

A light sigh leaves Shirayuki's mouth and she looks up at the sky. 'Oh, yes. There's a reason I decided to stay in this country. I want to know it, see how the rest of you live in Clarines, find out where I belong. That's the place where I'm going."