Chapter 17 - Alexander Talbot

A horde of guards stormed towards us, and I noticed a mask covering Kim's face

A horde of guards stormed towards us, and I noticed a mask covering Kim's face. It was a simple masquerade mask, that seemed quite new and I frowned at it.

Did she just buy the mask recently?

...and it seems too small to conceal her face fully.

"It conceals my face partially, unlike you." Kim suddenly said, as if reading my thoughts and I gasped.

"Can you read thoughts too?"

"You're just too easy to read." Kim rolled her eyes at me before cracking her knuckles, sighing heavily. The guards were closing in on us rapidly and we stood back to back, Kim quickly giving us instructions.

"Alright, I'll keep them busy. Meanwhile, you guys figure a way out within a minute."

"Wha--a minute? How do you, a minute?! Why?" I sputtered out, shocked.

"A minute." She insisted, growling her words out. Before I could protest any further, she charged towards the guards.

A sudden feeling of warmth overcame me, along with something pressing down lightly on me. My vision grew darker as I realised someone's hoodie covering me, making me glance up as the hood dropped from my head.

"Here, it would be bad if they see your face." Nathan said, putting the hoodie back up again. His fingers brushed against my hair as he did that, his actions startling me, my heart skipping a beat. He was wearing a black turtleneck underneath his hoodie, proving to me that his outfit was truly all black.

At that moment, I spotted movement from the corner of my eyes. A guard sneaked behind Nathan and Kim knocked him away with a roundhouse kick, thoroughly irked at us.

"Stop flirting, you lovebirds! Hurry and figure out a plan, you guys involved me in this mess!"

Fli-flirting?! Lovebirds?

I didn't have a chance to retort as another guard jumped at us. In that moment, Nathan shoved me away and the guard tackled him to the ground. I fell to the ground, wincing, concern surging through me for Nathan.

Both were equally matched, exchanging punches and kicks. Eventually, Nathan managed to extricate himself from the guard and I directed my concerned eyes to Kim.

My eyes widened in astonishment, seeing Kim fighting against five guards. One guard threw a punch and she easily dodged it, countering the guard with a punch of her own on his jaw. At the same time, another guard tried to trap her in his arms and she noticed it, throwing a fluid kick at his abodmen.

He stumbled back from the sudden force, causing a domino effect as he fell, taking another guard down with him. She huffed, beckoning the guards to come at her, and a guard with a bloody nose lunged towards her.

In one swift, smooth motion, she trapped him with her entire body, tousling around on the ground. She immediately twisted his arm, a pained cry escaping the guard's lips.