seventeen - adventure time

"Lauren, move your ass! I'm going to go down to breakfast without you!" I called into the bathroom as I waited impatiently with my hand on the door handle.

"I'll be out in a second, Jesus. We're actually ready early, why are you so - " Lauren stopped talking abruptly which caused me to raise my eyebrows. Shuffling was heard for a few seconds before the door opened and she stepped out with a smirk, "You're excited to see Zayn, aren't you?"

Sniffing, I glanced at the door, "No. Absolutely not." I murmured.

"You still haven't told me about the kiss." Lauren said with narrowed eyes as she grabbed her bag and we left the room together.

"We kissed. What more is there to tell?" I replied with a shrug. But even as I tried to be casual about it, a smile slipped onto my face at the memory of Zayn kissing me. I'd hardly had any sleep the night before because I couldn't stop thinking about it. And, honestly, Lauren was right. I was excited to see Zayn. But another part of me was dreading it. How were we going to act around each other? What if he'd woken up today and regretted everything and just ignored me? I'd look like such an idiot.

"Is he a good kisser?" Lauren asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, he's a very good kisser. It's Zayn though, I expected that much."

"Oh, so you've thought about kissing him before?" Lauren asked before gasping, "Have you guys kissed before?!"

"No, I mean... never mind. We have had, uh, almost kissed before. But Louis walked in on us."

"When the hell was this and why am I only hearing about this now? How did that happen?" Lauren was talking so quickly that I could hardly keep up.

"Kind of, well, told him to. It was a spur of the moment thing." I explained awkwardly as I remembered the moment where I'd seemed to grow some balls out of nowhere before Louis ruined the moment. Lauren hummed in response as we walked to the cafeteria and I decided now was probably the best time to bring up something that had been on my mind since she'd walked in on Zayn and I kissing the night before. "Lauren? Are you okay about me and Zayn?"

"What?" She asked with obvious confusion, "Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?"

"It's just - the first thing you ever said to me about him was 'Don't waste your time.'"

"Oh, yeah. That. I don't know, my views on him have changed I guess. He's changed. Ever since you got here anyway, he's different with you. I can see he actually does care about you and doesn't just want to, you know, jump your bones." Lauren explained and I smiled at the thought of Zayn changing because of me. I'd never thought about it like that before, "Plus you two make a fine ass couple."

"We're not a couple." I said without really thinking about it.

"What are you then?"

"I don't know, if I'm being honest. We've only kissed once and haven't even talked about it yet. I'm just seeing how it all pans out."

"God, you're just the same as Zayn. Liam always bitches to me about how much Zayn goes on about you but he just won't do anything about it. You did the exact same thing - a little more silently, might I add - and now something finally happened between you guys and you're just 'seeing how it pans out'? He's into you and you're into him - why make it seem more complicated?"

For a few moments, I thought over what Lauren had just told me. She had a point. As she always did. Maybe I was being a bit of an idiot just letting things pan out. Zayn and I did have to talk about what had happened and what we were going to do about it.

A quiet 'aw' from next to me pulled me from my train of thought as we entered the cafeteria and I looked up to find Lauren with a pout. "Zayn isn't here. Damn. I really wanted to see you two jump each other's bones."