twelve / part two - ghosts of the past

My jaw dropped as Zayn pulled the car to a stop outside our destination. As I unclipped my seat belt and stepped out of the car, my eyes didn't move from the beautiful sight in front of me. The country house was obviously old - but beautiful nevertheless. It was white with black roofs and window frames, and was probably the biggest building I'd ever laid eyes on that wasn't a school or office building. And Zayn wasn't kidding when he'd said that it was in the middle of nowhere.

"This place is - it's beautiful." I remarked breathlessly as Zayn stepped out of the car and walked around to meet me at the other side.

"It's not the most beautiful thing here though." Zayn stated, gazing into my eyes. "This mirror really is stunning." He stated with a smirk as he glanced the one of the wing mirrors of his car. Arrogantly, he flicked his collar and I rolled my eyes at him.

I sent a playful shove to his shoulder. "If you two are finished, let's go inside."

"Yes ma'am."

There were a few people outside the front of the building already, just talking or having a cigarette. In addition to this, Zayn and I weren't the only one's arriving right now. Before we made it to the doors, someone stopped and spoke with Zayn while I stood awkwardly next to them playing with my fingers. A few awkward minutes later, the older man patted Zayn on the back before walking away and Zayn turned to me with a sheepish expression.

"Sorry about that."

"It's fine."

"Come on," Zayn demanded, slipping his hand into mine and pulling me towards the building. "My Mum's waiting inside."

Nerves were causing me to tremble slightly. Zayn and I weren't even dating - I didn't fully understand what we were, especially while I was confused enough as to why he was holding my hand - so didn't have a clue as to why I felt so nervous towards meeting his family. I suppose I always felt this way meeting new people, as most people did, there was always this aching fear that they wouldn't like me.

"Are you sure it's okay I'm here?" I asked in a worried tone as we walked through the doors.

Zayn stopped walking and looked at me with a slightly confused expression. "Of course it is. I wouldn't have invited you otherwise. Why are you asking?"

"I don't know, it's just... I've never did this before. Like, been to any event like this." I responded, looking down at the floor. Every young teenager/woman I'd seen had looked stunning, and obviously put a lot of effort into their outfits - I was average compared to most people I'd seen, maybe even below average.

"You need to stop that, angel." Zayn said in an exasperated voice, but there was a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

"Stop what?"

"Looking for constant reassurance. You don't need to, I want you here, yeah?" It was as if he could read my thoughts, and before I could question how he guessed so easily he answered for me. "You get this look on your face whenever you get insecure or worried about something. Really, there's no need to be - I promise. You'll be fine." Zayn squeezed my hand gently and I instantly felt more relaxed about the whole situation. Thankfully, I smiled at him and he started to rub his thumb over my hand soothingly.

We were directed into a large hall, where there were lots of tables and people surrounding a large dance floor next to where the DJ was situated.

"So is this like a birthday or a wedding or what?" I asked as we both glanced around for somewhere to sit.

"Birthday. One of my great Aunts. Over here." Zayn directed us to an empty table for two near a long table what I assumed would turn into a buffet. After we'd sat down for a few minutes Zayn walked off to get us drinks and I was left on my own. I was tempted to play a game on my phone while I waited, but I didn't want anyone to think that I was rude. So instead, I was left awkwardly glancing around the room. A glass was placed in front of me and I looked up to smile at Zayn in thanks.