sixteen - giving in

"Today was horrible. It just dragged in; I am so glad it’s over." I complained to Lauren as we entered the cafeteria for dinner.

"I know, I swear to god they slowed the clocks down just to piss us off." She groaned in reply.

Out of habit, I glanced over to Zayns table and frowned when I saw it was empty. I'd only spoke to Zayn twice since Saturday because we'd both had a lot of homework. That meant we'd never really got a chance to talk about what had happened between us - or rather, hadn't happened between us thanks to Louis having the most terrible timing in the world. When we said down with our friends they were already in mid conversation about some new girl.

"I don't know when she's starting, Harry I didn't exactly ask. I just saw her registering at the main office earlier." Niall was explaining. He glanced up at me and smirked, "Hey, Georgia. You're not going to be the mysterious new girl anymore."

"Hell no." I joked, "Who's taking my crown?"

"I don't know her name, but yeah she was in the office. She's hot as fuck." he said while stuffing food into his mouth.

"Lovely, Niall. That's real classy." I remarked sarcastically.

"What can I say? I'm a lady." He drawled in a high pitched voice.

Rolling my eyes, I gestured to Lauren to come and get dinner with me. We were a little late, so the queue was small which was a good thing, but it also meant that half the good food would most likely be gone. My theory proved right once I realised there was hardly anything decent left and grabbed a sandwich. I paid for my food before Lauren and I walked back to the table. I wasn't even two bites into my sandwich when my phone started buzzing with caller ID reading 'Robert'. Confusion crossed my face before I excused myself to take the call outside the cafeteria.

"Hey." I said as the phone was brought to my ear.

"Georgia? Sorry to call you so suddenly."

"It’s fine, what's up?"

"It-it's your Mum. Something's happened, I don't know exactly what yet, she's not awake. But there was some kind of accident and she somehow ended up stabbed in the side, and now she's in the hospital. As far as I know she's fine, nothing vital was hit - she's just lost quite a bit of blood." Robert explained his voice sounding rushed and hoarse.

My throat dried and I could feel my breathing start to pick up. "What hospital?" I asked since it was the only words I knew would sound calm.

He told me the name and I started walking down the pathway briskly. "It's near your school, I'd come and get you but I don't want her to be alone if she wakes up - "

"It's fine, I'll just get a cab. I'll see you soon." I hung before he could reply and ran a hand through my hair.

My breathing picked up as I quickly started walking away from the cafeteria without even bothering to tell anyone I was leaving. They'd understand. My mind was absolutely buzzing with thoughts and worries about my Mom. What had happened? Was she okay? Robert had been kind of blunt on the phone but I didn't care - I just wanted to get to her and make sure she was okay.

Due to my distraction, I ended up walking into someone and nearly fell flat on my face.

"Georgia? What's up? You look like you're heading to kill a man." A soft voice stated and I looked up to find Zayn. Immediately, my body started to relax a little.

"It's just - " I ran my hand over my face and took a deep breath, "Can you give me a ride somewhere?"

*******************************************************