Chapter 8

Carmen had found the white roses on the front porch the following morning, just like she had the honey the day before. Will really knew the way to get to a girl. She reached down and picked them up, smelling them as she smiled. They were beautiful, she really should go and thank him. It was the least she could do.

She put the roses in the house and started down the steps, not sure where to start. He said he worked with horses so she would try the stables first. As she headed that way, her mind reviewed the previous night's events. Will had been, surprisingly, on his best behavior and she had enjoyed herself. The food had been delicious and she had to be careful not to overeat.

They had talked about many different things, none of it very serious, things like music and books, and they had even touched on current political events. Will had a strong grasp on what was going on in the world and it surprised her. She had not taken him to be a deep thinker, but his taste in literature and music backed up her theory that he wasn't just a pretty face. But why did he try so hard to hide it?

Carmen wouldn't admit to herself that she was a little disappointed that he hadn't tried to kiss her when he had dropped her off, she told herself it was a good thing that he didn't or she would have slapped him.

She reached the stables and asked one of the men working there if they had seen him.  They directed her to the opposite end of the stables and she followed his direction and exited into the bright sunshine, walking into a large dusty area that had two separate paddocks.

In one of the paddocks Will sat astride a massive horse, and they were both holding very still. It was as if they were both waiting the other one out. It was one stubborn attitude against another.

It looked as if Will had been working for hours. His clothes were dirty and his hat was pulled down low. He was wearing thick leather gloves that gripped the reins of the horse, and his sleeves had been rolled up to his elbows. Carmen was fascinated by the sinewy muscles that moved just under the skin as he gripped the reins. He seemed to be full of unleashed power and she couldn't help but wonder what he would be like if he ever unleashed it.

Carmen was once again speechless as she held still, watching, not wanting to distract either the horse or rider. Partly because she wanted to watch, but also because she didn't want either one to get hurt, and if she scared the horse that might happen.

It only took a minute for Will to notice her and as soon as he did he slowly dismounted, releasing the reins and letting the horse wander away.

"I'm sorry, I made you lose, didn't I?" Carmen asked, crossing towards the paddock.

"It's not about winning or losing." He pushed his hat back on his head as he looked down at her as they met at the fence.

"That was what it looked like to me."

Will shrugged. "We were having a discussion of sorts."

"I didn't see your lips moving?" Carmen couldn't help letting her gaze drop to his full lips as they smiled.

"I was resting them for later. I didn't want to wear them out, in case you needed them."

Carmen rolled her eyes and shook her head, just like that the old Will was back and the sensitive smart one from the night before was gone. "You really can't help yourself, can you?"

"Not when the woman is as beautiful as you are."

Carmen was silent as she watched the horse watch them and Will watched her.

"Thank you for the flowers, how did you know that white roses were my favorite?" she asked. Maybe if she hurried up with the thank you she could get away from his disturbing gaze that seemed to know exactly what she was thinking.

"I didn't give you any flowers."

Carmen's gaze flew to his face and he looked sincerely confused.

"Y-y-you didn't?"

"No, but thanks for letting me know white roses are your favorites, I'll remember that in case I ever do get you flowers."

"You really didn't get me flowers?" Her voice shook and she hated the sound of it.

"No, where would I get flowers, I would have to drive half an hour, and while you're worth the extra time, I haven't had time this morning to leave the ranch."

Carmen felt her entire body start to tremble. He had found her, he was near enough to leave flowers on her doorstep again.

"Carmen, are you alright?" Will asked, jumping over the fence to join her.

"Sure." She forced a smile, not realizing that all color had fled her face and she looked ashen.

"What's going on? Who left you the flowers?" Will demanded as he tugged on her elbow, leading her back through the barn and towards the house.

"Somebody's been bothering me...Josh, I need to call Josh," she insisted as she freed her arm from Will's grasp and raced towards the house.

*******

Will watched her as she ran from him and back towards the house. He had hated to scare her but he had needed to do it.  Josh's passive pace was taking too long, and he had gotten word that morning that the Navy needed him back in California in three weeks.  He didn't like the idea of leaving the job before it was finished.

At least he told himself it was the job he didn't want to leave unfinished.

He had called Josh and asked him to let the hacker into the system. Josh had agreed on the condition, that Will not leave Carmen alone, and he hadn't. Will had monitored the house with his own eyes and watched the man deliver the flowers. He could have gotten him for trespassing right then and there, but he had the gut feeling that the man was acting on someone else's behalf, and throwing him in jail would not be the way to draw the other man out of hiding.

Will personally made sure that as soon as the flowers had been delivered the system was restored, and Carmen was safe once again.

She was safe but scared, and he hated that.

He looked down at his dirty clothes and frowned. He had to take care of the horse and then himself before he could go after her, but that would give her time to talk to Josh.

He hoped that Josh would tell her who he was and why he was there. It would make it easier to help her.