Chapter 15- A Child's Faith

Early the next day, Maria was at Kyle’s bedside when Dr. Neill was doing his bed rounds.  Tired and worn out, she smiled at him when he entered Kyle’s room.

“He had a good night, no more incidents.”Dr. Neill reported.

“Is he worse?”

“I’m not going to lie to you, everyday he is under it’s not good. We need to put the feeding tube in and move him to the appropriate facility for his care.”

Maria looked at him bewildered. “I don’t know. When do you want to do this surgery?”

“It’s not a difficult surgery. We can do it tomorrow morning.”

“So soon?”

“I know it’s difficult to make this decision, but it's for Kyle’s benefit, and we need to take action that will make it better for him. And I don’t want anymore group sessions. I think it’s too much for him,”he said sternly.

Maria nodded her head as tears began to run down her cheeks. She remained by Kyle’s bed side praying, until it was time to pick up Karia from her parent’s home.

“Mommy,” Karia ran to her and gave her a big hug.

“How was school today, baby?”

“Good.”

“What did you learn?”

“I learned to be Happy.”

“Happy?”

“Yes, I’m in the school play and Happy is one of the characters. I smile a lot and go around to everyone whispering happy things to them. Here’s my halo,” she pulled out a yellow half-moon card board that she put across her head from ear to ear.

“What things do you say to them?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“Why won’t you let me make Daddy happy too,” Karia pouted her lips and crossed her arms in front of her.

“Honey, remember I told you, Daddy is asleep in the hospital and he won’t be able to wake up and talk to you.”

“I know Mommy, but I want to see daddy,” she cried.

“Okay, I’ll take you after school later this week.”

“No, I want to go now.”

“Karia, what has gotten into you?”

“Now Mommy,”

Maria looked at her determined six year old daughter. Her eyes were a blazed with determination. The look that Kyle also said she had when she wanted her way.

“Okay. We will go, but dinner first and you have to eat all of your peas.”

“Yuck.”

The hospital was quiet when Maria and Karia returned for the evening hours. The nurses on Kyle’s floor all knew her and they would either squeeze her arm or hug her, giving her words of encouragement.

Karia reached for Maria’s hand, “It’s going to be alright Mommy. Do you have your Seth book; it always makes you happy.”

Maria smiled, “Yes, Happy, I do have it. Right here in my purse.”

“Karia, remember daddy won’t talk to you.”

“Yes, he will Mommy. He talks to me every night. He tucks me in bed.”

Maria sighed, worried about Karia’s reaction to Kyle’s condition. But there was nothing she could do now, but let her see him. She opened his door, and Karia ran passed her to the bed and climbed up on it.

“Daddy, it’s okay. You can come home now. I love you,” she whispered in his ear. Then she laid down next to him and put her small arm around his chest.

Maria sat next to the bed and thought about how much she loved both of them and waited as Karia remained wrapped around her father regardless of the tubes. Just when she was ready to nudge Karia that it was time to go, Karia abruptly sat up and looked at Maria. “Daddy awoke.”

“No, he isn’t sweetie,” Maria felt so badly for her daughter, having so much hope.

“Yes he is. He moved his eyes.”

Maria walked closer to the bed, and Kyle stared up at her and smiled.