Chapter 8 The God in Me

“Bull, prove it to me.” The words slipped out Kyle’s mouth before he had a chance to think about them, but he couldn’t stop. “I don’t believe in your God.” He looked at Clara. “I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps and improved my own lot in life. Your God sitting in the sky didn't do anything for me. I'm not one of his chosen people.”

“You don’t believe in God” Clara screamed, her eyes glowed with contempt.

Before Kyle could respond, Maria spoke out. “That’s just it. Who can prove the existence of God or the Divine Mind to anyone in the room? Everyone's perception or belief is based on his understanding of the nature of reality handed down from his family of origin. And that's why we are here to expand our consciousness. Because when we do that we see beyond the reality we have been programmed to accept.”

Silence.

Maria welcomed the moment of quietness. She had to collect her thoughts. Kyle's outburst had rattled her nerves. He was still angry with Clara's God in Heaven. He didn't know that his anger made him a believer. She had hoped that through the years her brand of spirituality had rubbed off on him.  

Romayne  raised her hand and Maria acknowledged her with a nod of her head.

“Richard and I don’t’ believe that God is a man deciding who is going to be sick, well, poor or rich. We believe that God is a multidimensional being or even an idea held in consciousness that manifest in everything, everywhere, and is all powerful.” Romayne kept her voice low and non-combatable.

“Well, since everyone is putting in his or her two cents of who is God let me just say this.” John chimed in. “I used to believe in a God where I had to beg for good to materialize in my life, and I did that in the form of praying and confessing. But it didn’t work. Terrible things continued to happen to me. After I left Catholicism, I went from Hinduism to Buddhism. The Buddhists don’t believe in God. I felt comfortable doing Zen. It helped me to get centered, but something was still missing. Then Maria gave me Seth Speaks for my birthday. The concepts in this book along with my other spiritual studies helped to get me to the point I am at now—awakened to other possibilities of reality.”

Maria couldn’t help but smile at John, and it didn’t go unnoticed. Clara rolled her eyes.

I think we should end here. But you have an assignment.” Maria said hurriedly as they began to stand up. “As you go about your week become aware of your environment and how you act or react to it. Notice any unusual occurrences. Plan to share them with us next week, same day and time. Bea would you close out with the Unity Prayer of Protection by James Dillet Freeman. Everyone let's hold hands."

 Bea’s sweet voice permeated the room as she sang:

The light of God surrounds me;

The love of God enfolds me;

The power of God protects me;

The presence of God watches over me.

Wherever I am, God is!

 To be continued..