Deleted Scene: How Percy Discovered He Was More God Than He Realized

Clearing things up: I had a headcannon in chapter 11 that said (and I quote): "As I entered the woods something seemed---off. I didn't know how to describe it, but I took out Riptide and uncapped it. I only hoped it wasn't a giant. I could kill it but I don't want to. The thing is: I'm not a complete demigod, but I'm not a complete god either. See, when Zeus first asked me if I wanted immortality, he didn't think I would decline. So he had already started the blessing. That's why I could jump so far in Tartarus over the river. And why the Gorgon's Blood took so long to kill me. Why I could resist Nike's aura. Leo had wondered. So had Annabeth. They still don't know. So if it was a giant, it would only be a pain to kill. Not impossible. Being part both I could kill it alone." In other words, Percy could do all this amazing stuff because his powers were enhanced on the godly side. I felt the need to make a deleted scene out of this, so here you go! A little over 1,000 words and two parts.

The party on Olympus was just about to begin. The rewards had been given out, and Percy had just turned down godhood. His head was still reeling when he realized what he had given up. Then he'd remember his wish and know he did the right thing.

Percy was about to leave the place he'd almost been sentenced to death in when Zeus called him back.

Percy walked over to Zeus nervously. He had just refused his generous gift of godhood after all. And then forced him to grant a more complicated wish.

The room was almost empty by the time Percy reached Zeus's side. It was just the two of them left.

Percy glanced around, a nervous tick he'd picked up from Grover, waiting for Zeus to say something.

The god on question cleared his throat awkwardly. "So, Perseus. I see you turned down the offer I made."

Percy just nodded slowly. That much was already obvious. He wasn't going to bother answering that.

"What, ah," Zeus continued hesitantly, "what you didn't know was that I didn't expect you to tell me 'no.'"

Percy quirked an eyebrow. "What's done is done, Lord Zeus. You already swore to abide by my terms. I don't see the need to talk about this."

"Perseus," Zeus rushed out. "Because I didn't expect you to say no, and all the other Olympians were fine with you becoming a god, I started the blessing."

Percy froze. What? "What?" His voice echoed his thoughts. "What do you mean, you started the blessing?"

"No one has ever turned down godhood before, Perseus!" Now Zeus just sounded childish. "And why would I think you'd be the first? You and your father, as against the Ancient Laws as it is, seem rather close. I expected you would be happy living with him for eternity!"

"So what? Am I now a god?" Percy asked, annoyed at this turn of events.

"Not quite," Zeus answered cautiously. "You are now far more god than human, but you are still technically a demigod. All I can guess at is that your powers will be stronger. And maybe some new ones will arise. I can't tell you much else. You'll have to figure it out on your own."

After that sentence, it appeared Zeus had had enough of Percy, so he walked out of the room to the party.

Percy stood there, gaping like a fish.

Well, crap.

{Now enjoy Percy's friends finding out after HoO}

Percy knew that he wasn't getting out of it this time. Percy knew that he would never be able to escape the horror that awaited him.

Piper was putting together a slumber party.

Yep. A slumber party for all of the members of the Argo II. Leo had returned with Calypso about a week ago, so Piper thought it would be a perfect time to reunite.

She insisted that Nico and Reyna join them, but Percy was relieved to find out Coach Hedge wasn't invited.

"I'll ask Grover to send him on a scouting mission," Piper assured him and Annabeth. "Don't worry about being close. He can't ground you this time."

Percy and Annabeth had laughed at that, but that didn't mean Percy wanted to go to this party.

It was a slumber party. As in, pajamas and Truth or Dare. Percy didn't do truth or dare, and he slept in his underwear if Annabeth wasn't around. He so did not want to put on pants just to hang out with friends at night. Night was his time for not worrying about covering up scars or keeping warm outside of a blanket.

Yet, of course, Annabeth insisted he attend. Percy thought she really just wanted to make him suffer.

So, looked like Percy was going to the slumber party. Didn't mean he was playing truth or dare. He was not going to let someone dress him up like Blackjack and force him to hang out in the stables next to the Pegasus ever again.

Percy was one of the last to arrive to the set of tents that had been pitched (cleared with Chiron and the harpies, of course). He sat down next to Annabeth who had been there helping Piper set up.

As the night went into full force, it turned out Percy didn't have to worry about Truth or Dare.

Nope. He had to worry about something much worse.

Never Have I Ever.

Jason suggested it (of course it was that do-gooder. He'd probably never even jaywalked or flown without asking permission, praetor or not), and the group agreed. Within the first three nevers, it was obvious the gathering was targeting Annabeth and Percy. They had few details about any of the quests, but they did their best to use the game to discover more questing secrets.

As the game progressed, some of the statements were: "Never have I ever been to the Underworld," and "Never have I ever been shocked by lightning," and "never have I ever fought physically with a god." Yeah. Percy was sure they were targeting him.

It wasn't until it was Annabeth's turn that something became hard to explain to the group. Hades, even Annabeth didn't know what the story was behind her statement: "Never have I ever done something impossible for a demigod."

Everyone was asking Annabeth why she said that. Her only response was that she couldn't say she hadn't done anything else she could thin of without targeting g one person.

Percy had trouble deciding if he was supposed to put a finger down for this one. Yeah, he could pass everything he'd done off as normal demigod; everyone thought he was powerful anyway. But he didn't want to lie. Percy tried to sneak his finger down, but Reyna noticed.

"Percy. Why'd you put down a finger?"

Percy wanted to laugh and say it was his middle finger that he put down, but he saw everyone was looking and knew he wouldn't get away with it.

This was it; it was time to tell them.

"Well," Percy began, "it all started August 18. The day I turned down godhood."