Chapter 23

Ryan's POV

I had to go see Amy today. Just thinking about it made me feel like my life was at stake. I cringed as I make it to the place that Amy had written on the sheet of paper. It was a Starbucks.

I tap my feet, and pace back and forward: my heart rate could not be healthy. When I look down towards the ground, I wince. What if she doesn't show up? What if she decides to take the child, and leave me? What if she decides to get rid of it?

"Hey," a random guy yelps from behind me. I turn to him, and he's eyeing me like a lunatic.

"What do you want?"

"Is Amy here?"

"How do you know Amy?!"

"Is she here... Or naw?"

"No."

"Oh. Okay." He looks to the side and turns his head. "You're Ryan, right?"

"Yeah. What's it to ya?"

"I'm Nick!"

"Okay?"

"Amy invited me..." Me and Nick turn to walk, and just as I'm about to enter the coffee place, Amy scrolls up to me. I slip my hands into my pockets and walk towards the pier, meeting her. Her face was stone and expressionless. My palms were sweaty, and I had expected her to be angry, to hate me, but no. She didn't seem mad...

Amy's POV

I was meeting up with Ryan and Nick but before I could leave, my mom caught up with me.

"Where you goin?"

"Out." I try to pass her, but I couldn't.

"Where?"

"You're not my mom," I glare.

"Yes. I am."

"Move."

"No.. Not until you-," I swerved past her, almost tripping on my way out the door.

I'm not sure if I've forgiven her, but I am sure that I needed to be cautious around her.

I walk to the pier and Ryan is standing there, hands in his pocket. He looks nervous, and I could understand that. I just walk up to him and he looks at me. I just look back, not knowing what to say. I mumble the first thing I could think of, "if you don't want a kid, I could-"

"No. No, I'm fine with that. I could raise a kid. I mean..."

"Yeah. Yeah.." I mumbled. His eyes moved from my face to my stomach and I tug my body away slightly.

"Sorry." He looks up to the sky and says, "what a beautiful day." He tries to smile, but he can't seem to pull it off. After a few minutes of just looking at the sky, he gulps loudly, "I'm sorry. I was out of line and I was surprised. I-I..." I pull him towards the seats in front of Starbucks.

"Don't explain." I lean down to kiss him, and his muscles tighten up, but are soon released when he melts into my lips. "I love you. Okay. We're gonna get through this." I stroke the back of his head, and I feel his cold hand touch my stomach. I sit up straight, and he moves his hands towards his face, blushing. "I'm not use to that."

"It's fine."

Nick pops up, and I smile at him. He smirks back, and brings me and Ryan cups of coffee. Ryan slightly glares at him. "Why'd you invite him?"

"We needed to talk... And besides, he's good company."

************
The topic of school pops up.

"I'm gonna just finish this school year from home. Why go back when there's only two weeks left?"

"Yeah. I'm going for these last few weeks though. Senior year is over." He looks at the ground, almost innocently.

"Right. Senior year..."

"That means college. But I'm still at a lost... Where should I go?"

"You still want to go to college?"

"Yeah. Don't you?"

"Yeah, but right now? We have a kid on the way."

"I know that, but that doesn't mean I don't want to go get an education, or play pro football."

"Football?"

"Yes. Football... It's my life!" I look at him like he's crazy. Football?! Is that all he cares about? We have a child on the way and all he can think about is football?! "Is there something wrong with that? Wanting to follow you dreams? Wanting to provide for your family?!"

"You're rich, Ryan, what do you mean, 'provide for your family?!'"

"Just because my parents have money, that doesn't mean that I'm rich, and it sure as hell doesn't mean I'm not going work to help you and this baby!"

"Liar. You're a liar!"

"Excuse me?"

Nick cuts in, "you guys okay?"

"Shut up, Nick!" We nag. He shuts up and slides deeper into his seat.
"Now how does that feel? To be accused of being a liar before you can even defend yourself!?" I snarl at Ryan.

"Amy."

"Ryan." He folds his arms tight to his chest. We both just breathe. If we couldn't have a simple conversation about school, how the hell were we going to communicate with a child.