Scolding

In the days that lead up to us all going to the lake house everyone seemed excited about our small getaway, meanwhile it had become a rather big thorn in my side as Patrick took it upon himself to, invite a guest but wouldn't say who.

Something that shouldn't bother me, but it does since his bipolar ass wants to be seen around town with various girls all while having little regard to his mate being in the same town. The same mate I personally invited out for a relaxing weekend.

So much for that plan.

"You seem tense babe."

I sighed and rolled over so that I was now cuddled into Vance's side, his year here at school was almost over as well. I'd miss the frat house until the fall semester began again...more so the sound proof walls he'd had invested in.

"It's nothing."

"You know you can tell me anything." He replied, he could tell I was lying no doubt.

"I was looking forward to this weekend and now that Patrick's going...I don't think I'm going to be able to have fun."

This time he sighed, "you and him need to get over whatever fued y'all have, you're basically cousins through marriage and you both hardly act like it."

"He's an asshole."

He shook his head, "he may be, but nothing we can do about it...trust me, once he gets his mate he'll calm down."

I looked at Vance, I wanted to open up to him and tell him the whole truth, and this may come back to bite me in the ass, but the fact of the matter is it isn't my truth to tell.

I simply kissed him and it seemed to suffice.

"If worst comes to worst I promise to keep you hostage in a bedroom at the lake house so that you won't have to worry about seeing Patrick." He smirked mischievously.

I can deal with that.

"Hey since we're on the topic, how many girlfriends does that kid have, I could've sworn I saw him when I passed the ice cream shop the other night, and then with another one when we went to the movies last night."

"Not girlfriends." I sighed irritated, "hookups, and too damn many, he should be focusing on his mate."

"It's not easy when you don't have a mate." He said, "I was tempted many times before I shifted, but the moment I shifted and saw you I knew there was no one else for me...Patrick's mate will come along and he'll feel crappy for all he's done in her absence."

"Something tells me he wouldn't even care about her feelings."

He kissed my forehead and I hugged him tighter, "thank you for always choosing me."

"Always have, always will babe."

After that we called it a night and I stayed the night knowing I'd get chewed out from my parents in the morning .

_____

"Elise how could you be so careless." My father sounded angrily. "Of course we always assume you're with Vance but a respectful text at the very least letting us know where you are would have been appreciated...and let's not talk about the fact that your friend was here by herself all night, try putting yourself in her shoes."

"I'm sorry, I didn't think."

"Look sweetie we know you and Vance love each other and none of us know exactly what you're both going through...but your father and I just need you to be a little more responsible and considerate...you have to remember you don't have your Wolf anymore-"

"You think I don't know that!" I snapped.

My parents stared at me more mad than they were originally.

"I'm sorry I yelled." I tried to amend. "I know I don't have my wolf and that's why being away from Vance isn't easy...if temptation comes to you or Daddy your wolves help guide you away from temptation...yes Vance and I love each other but now we're being driving by our emotions and hormones, and we don't have a wolf helping us remember right from wrong, temptations included."

They looked at each other.

"Again I'm sorry, you're right I should have let you know where I was...and I'll personally apologize to Mariah."

After that I told them goodbye as the headed out for their own weekend away.

I made my way into my bedroom (we hadn't gotten around to picking up Mariah's bed yet) and found her sitting on the floor on her laptop.

"Hey." I said.

"Hey." She smiled.

"Sorry about ditching you last night."

She waved my words away, "you and your dude need time together, I get it."

I smiled, "so you ready for this weekend, I know Harper's excited to see you." I said, I hadn't told her about the slumber party that H ended up rejecting due to staying at Brax's place.

Her smile faltered just a bit.

"I don't know if I'm going to go after all."

As much as I wanted to breath a sigh of relief I also did want my friend to come along and enjoy herself.

"Mariah, you haven't done anything for yourself since you've come back."

She sighed, "I signed up for school, I went and cleaned up my moms house a little, got a used car...I've done stuff."

"Nothing fun." I corrected and pointed out.

"Honestly" she sounded sadly, "I feel kind of guilty about going knowing mom can't just go where she wants, when she wants."

"I know you love your mom, but you can't live your life with that mentality."

She nodded, "I know, but I just got here...I can't even think about going without her in the back of my mind...I'm sorry Ellie."

"Hey it's cool, I'm sure we'll have all summer to think about going to the lake."

"Speaking of summer." She said a little more relieved, "I was talking to Frank."

"Your brother?" I asked, my heart began to race with a slight panic.

"Yeah." She smiled, "apparently bus company has a branch out here, it's where he apparently interned or whatever, anyways he's thinking about moving here to help out with mom and so I wouldn't have to be a burden to your parents."

"Ry, my parents and I love you...You aren't a burden." I said as I hugged her.

She hugged me back, "thanks, but I can't stay here forever...anyways, when he hears back from work I'm going back to Cali to help get everything packed, I'll have to drive his car because he's gonna have to drive the U-Haul back."

"Sounds like you've got everything sorted then."

She nodded, "just the game plan at least... and I've also been putting applications here and there hoping I can get work because I'm going to need my own money."

Her words hit home, I was going to be graduating high school soon and I've never worked a day in my life. "Maybe I should get a job too."

"Extra cash never hurt anyone." She said.

I nodded, "I'm mostly thinking that I'm going to be in college soon and I don't know how long my parents are going to support me."

She shrugged and we talked a little more.