Chapter 22 - Poisoned Revelations

No one gets their way

Until they whip it

-- Devo (Whip It)

=/\=

"Conference room six, everyone," Carmen sent a generalized message to the entire group once all of the time travelers had returned. "There's lots to talk about."

Marisol ignored the call, and instead cornered Boris. "I have an errand to run. You will cover for me," she said.

"And if I refuse?"

"My errand is to go to Kronos to meet a lovely lady who is in charge of a Klingon sports arena. Might you know who that is?"

"My wife," he said, beginning to sweat something fierce.

"That's right. And our conversation will be about all manner of pleasantries. If you don't wish for it to turn to a discussion of you and how much you enjoy unconventional sex, I suggest you agree to cover me like the good little boy you are," she said, "Ta."

She sauntered away, exaggerated movements, and he felt his stomach turn into a ball of concrete.

=/\=

They began to assemble in the conference room. The time travelers mainly just looked tired. "Where's Alice?" Carmen asked.

"When we restored our part of the timeline," Polly said, "she disappeared."

"Crystal, check, see if she's intact, er, somewhere," Carmen said.

"Of course."

"How was she?" Carmen asked.

"There must've been a bit of a restoration while we were working, because she suddenly turned into someone who wasn't prejudiced. It was very strange," Rick said, "she ended up being pretty good. Polly here was hit on."

"Ugh, don't remind me," Polly said, "I don't enjoy being, apparently, catnip to dictators."

"Ah, I've got it," Crystal said, "looks like she's fine. Back where she was before."

"Excellent," Carmen said.

Kevin came in and sat next to Deirdre, "So, how's Bruce?" he asked.

"Who?"

"Don't play coy with me, Miss Katzman. The guy you keep making baby talk with over the Communicator when you think I'm not listening," he said.

"I have no idea who you're talking about," Deirdre said. Everyone else stopped what they were doing and saying. "Why is everyone staring?" Deirdre asked.

"Are you joking around with us?" Sheilagh asked.

"N-no."

"And you really don't know who Bruce Ishikawa is?" HD asked.

"Someone with that name called. He was very inappropriate. Called me baby. I don't know who that was. I, I don't want some stranger to call me baby."

"Deirdre, listen to me very carefully," Rick said, "are you definitely not kidding around?"

"I'm not!"

"You never, ever heard of that guy?" Rick asked.

"Quit asking me that," she said, hurt, "no. I don't know who the hell he is."

"And for the last, what, year I think it is, have you even had a boyfriend?" he asked.

"No, and I'd rather not talk about it, if it's all the same to you. I'm a bit sensitive about that."