Useless

| Third Person |   

The entire village, except for a select few, stood before the Hokage Mountain in honor of the somber death of Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage.

While many cried and conversed over the tragedies and misgivings of death, Shikamaru noticed the absence of one of his dearest friends, although he would never admit that, Atsu.

The pineapple-haired genin wandered from the funeral, but not without skeptical glances from his teammates. However, Asuma gave him a simple, sad smile as he turned his team back towards the casket of their Hokage.

Shikamaru searched high and low for the kunoichi, but to no avail. He knew that if Atsu did not want to be found, no one would be able to find her. However, he persistently searched for her. Shikamaru knew of her relationship with the Hokage, and knew she couldn't- no, shouldn't be alone right then.

Shikamaru sighed as he reached the last place he guessed she'd be.

"Atsu?" He called, reaching the lone tree that stood at the top of the large hill.

"Here," Atsu muttered, making Shikamaru look up at the resting girl. She sat on top of a thick branch, an apple pressed against her mouth as she took slow bites from the juicy morsel.

"There you are, troublesome woman." Shikamaru sighed, leaning against the tree, just below Atsu. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"Why?" Shikamaru looked up at her when she asked such a question. He thought the answer would be obvious, but looked straight ahead as he thought it over. Why had he come? He could've told her team to go look for her, after all.

Shikamaru felt his heart clench at the thought and sighed. He probably wouldn't have done that either way. He didn't want to admit the fondness he felt for this kunoichi, so he answered in a lie, "I don't know."

Atsu could tell his answer was false but didn't press on it. Her eyes followed the breaking rain clouds, light seeping through the cracks. "Looks like the funeral is over." She muttered, looking down at Shikamaru, who was busy sharpening his kunai.

"He is not very good at comforting people, is he?" Bob commented as their clone took a seat on a branch above her.

"He's perfect." Atsu thought aloud but coughed and quickly turned away from Bob's judging gaze.

"You like him, do you?"  Bob smirked widely, their razor sharp incisors out for all to see.

"Be quiet," Atsu muttered, grabbing the changeling by the neck and crushing their neck, their clone disappearing. I don't have time for that. I have to protect the village, she thought, but couldn't help the way her heart clenched at the thought.

Sighing, Atsu jumped from her perch, starting her descent down the hill.

"Hey, Atsu," Shikamaru called, jogging to catch up with her. "I have a question."

Atsu offered no response, glancing back at him.

"Are you, or were you, Yoru no Sairen?" Shikamaru asked, his hands stuffed in his pockets. Atsu looked up at the clear sky, smiling softly as she closed her eyes.

"Yeah," She said, taking in the scent of rain.

Shikamaru felt his cheeks sweeten as he watched Atsu, the sun shining against her drenched body. Her smile brought a peace to his beating heart, and he couldn't help but smile as well.

"Oh, I have to go find my team," Atsu said suddenly, breaking the warmth of the scene, making Shikamaru grumble inwardly. "Bye, Shika."

"W-Wait!" Shikamaru called, grabbing her by the arm as she started to walk away.

"Yeah?" Atsu turned to him, and he gulped, not really knowing why he stopped her from leaving. Letting his heart take over, for just a second, he leaned forward, brushing her bangs out of the way, and gave Atsu a peck on the forehead.

Atsu's entire face lit up in a crimson red as she stared up at Shikamaru. "Payback." He muttered, his own face just as red as hers.

"U-uh, um... B-Bye!" Atsu stammered out, quickly disappearing from the scene, her heart almost jumping out of her chest as she tried to calm herself. No, no. Stop it. Calm down, you idiot!

It was just a little peck on the forehead, not a big deal. Atsu thought, but Bob was quick to retaliate, "Oh, it was clearly no big deal." They laughed loudly at Atsu's embarrassment, taunting her with lame kissing noises. "Oh, Shika!" Bob burst out laughing once again, holding their scaly stomach as they fell onto their back.

"Why don't you shut up before I come in there and knock some sense into you myself!" Atsu cried, maybe a little too loud, because a flock of birds came flying at her, knocking her over and onto the forest floor. "Hmph."

Atsu landed gently on her feet and sighed, running a hand through her short hair. She'd almost forgotten she had cut it. She fiddled with the unwashed rags she'd used for clothes for the grace period.

Bringing her collar close to her nose, she immediately deterred her nostrils, gagging as she quickly continued on her path, her ankle holding back her speed considerably.

"I need to take a well-earned shower."