23: Oblivious

MIN HANEUL

I so wanted to die.

Apparently, my uterus had the same sentiments of wanting me dead as well, judging by how it was currently making me suffer early in the morning, even before I could open my eyes.

I clutched on my waist, body crouched down whilst I desperately rummaged through my drawers then to my cupboards.

Luckily, I found a pad on one of the shelves. But on the negative note, it was the last pad, my cramps were killing me, and I did not have any painkillers—much less the energy to go out to buy both.

Why must there be a negative side to everything?

I squeezed my eyes closed, slumping myself back on my bed, pulling the duvet higher. I balled myself beneath, hugging a pillow so dearly as if my life depended on it.

"Dear phone, where are you hiding?" I mumbled, blindly searching for my phone with my hand. "Fine, whatever. I don't need you!"

I could only exhale begrudgingly through gritted teeth when it miraculously vibrated underneath my pillow. The message was from Hira, and she had asked me if I had free time. I managed to thumb in a reply telling her about my baneful dilemma, informing her that I stayed at home.

Not a minute later, she called.

"Haneul are you alright?" she whisper-shouted, like an undercover agent on mission.

I laughed. Or so I tried to since it came out as a dying seal. Hira apologized for not being able to help. She had rounds until the afternoon, but if she could, she had told me that she'd drop by. I kept convincing her that it was fine, and I did not want to cause her inconvenience.

Partly a lie. I was nowhere near fine. Unless your vocabulary were similar of those people who'd overuse the "I'm fine" line even when they were not.

In her attempts to lessen my burden, she mentioned Jiwoo. Although unnie had work in her clothing shop, I thought of dropping by in the evening after her work in case the pain wouldn't go away.

Before I pushed my phone back under my pillow, my eyes landed on Yoongi's contact. My forehead wrinkled, giving it a thought. Nope, I guess not. He, for sure, would be here in a blink of an eye. He was probably busy, and remembering that I had took his precious time just days ago, I didn't want to burden him further.

Plus, I should have listened when he suggested about doing grocery to fill in my cupboards.

So much for hoping that the pain would depart or at least subside for a while, it didn't. Instead, I woke up at four in the afternoon, soaking in cold sweat and weak legs. To add up to my misery was an empty grumbling stomach.

The idea of sleeping through my entire period had crossed my mind. People would probably freak out to find a dead body drenched in blood, but only on the lower part. Would the cause of death be excessive blood loss?

It was borderline gross and humorous in my opinion. But it was my shot at keeping myself distracted from the pain whilst I prepared myself something decent to eat.

"Eomma, please save me!" I drawled as I slurped on my noodles with tears streaming down my face. "Where are you now that I need you?"

And then my face lit up. I stood up in lightning speed with my arms raised, pointing my forefinger upwards.

"Jiwoo-unnie has a mother!"

I ran towards the door without thinking twice. I didn't have to wait for her work to be over as her loving mother was probably inside their unit right now. As I reached the door, there went my cramps to remind me that they still existed.

"Fine! Fine! I'm so sorry for being so happy," I voiced out as if I were talking to my uterus.

I pushed my door closed, about to twist my body towards the Jung's residence, when my hand felt a flimsy material which turned out to be a plastic bag on the lever.

My hand retracted instinctively. I tilted my head, inspecting the suspicious looking bag hanging on my door.

And then I felt a drop in the middle.

Fúck.

Pulling my hair, I took the plastic bag and eyed its contents. My eyes gleamed in joy, and I would've jumped in gratitude, but we all know why I didn't. I scurried back inside.

I have no idea about brands, apologies. Anyway, the lady told me those painkillers work. Get well soon, Haneul. -J.

I read the note after I had finished my hygienic matters, a glass in my hand as I gulped down the painkiller. Something in my mind told me I had seen this note before. However, the idea was too farfetched.

Wait, no, I had seen this before! I walked into my room, opened the bureaus of my table and searched through them. I was sure I was left with a similar note the day I got drunk.

The handwriting matched. I got this sudden excitement as if I were a detective solving a mystery.

But if this was the note from last time, shouldn't this one also be from Yoongi? The thing is, nowhere in Yoongi's name had the letter j.

I was definitely missing something here. Was Yoongi actually not in denial that he had brought me home and persisted that I had sent the wrong message when I had thanked him before?

My call log had cleared Yoongi off the list. Also, my phone had a lock. So how would they know Yoongi's number!?

I let out a sigh, massaging my temples. Jungkook was off the list, as well, for he didn't know where I lived. And these never ending flashbacks of that day when Jimin's nonstop coughing pried Minzy off...

I need to stop being so damn oblivious.

A wave of embarrassment spiraled within my veins, and that was only from remembering asking him to tie my hair, thinking he was my brother. I shoved my head into my pillow, squirming with horrified squeals and continuously smacked my head.

As much as I wanted to recall if I had done anything else, it would be best not to know anymore.

Then came that voice in my head casually reminding me that he had just brought period pads and painkillers.

"Why, Hira? Why?!" I screamed in frustration and hid under my duvet. There was no other person who would tell Jimin about my condition.

Now I officially wanted to disappear... if not die.

— ✿ —
hello, lovely readers! how are you all? please take care and eat your meals on time. have a great day ahead!