Dried squid? (Namjoon)

🕊 a short Namjoon imagine 🕊

You weren't particularly sure how it happened. One day you were fawning over a man called Kim Namjoon from the Korean boy group Bangtan Boys. The next you're there; next to him, having a deep, philosophical talk while eating dried squid together.

You had assumed it was odd, of course. Who would've thought a fan that was miles away would ever get a chance to meet her idol face to face? Actually having a conversation together no less. But there you were, talking to him about anything and everything. He was so interesting, the both of you could watch paint dry and he would somehow come up with all the different theories and facts about paint.

How did the both of you meet, though? An interesting question. A question that you couldn't answer precisely because even you yourself didn't know how and why it happened. One would argue that it's fate, while the other would just call it your lucky day. You, however, would beg to differ.

That day wasn't your lucky day, at all. You had awoken to sweat beading down your entire body from a nightmare you would rather not relive. Furthermore, you had slipped onto your bathroom floor for not being careful enough when shampooing your hair. And so with a bruise forming on your right butt cheek, you went to work.

Work was... OK. As OK as slaving around gets, that is. Nothing particularly story worthy happened. You had to type out some documents your boss wanted by lunch and filter through resumes of people who wanted to work at the company you work in. Same old. But while you were walking home after a tiring day however, something peculiar happened.

You were rushing to get home. The weather was freezing and you, stupidly enough, only brought a blazer with you. With your fingers and toes feeling like it would fall off any second, you waited around the bus stop thinking that taking a bus would be better than dying of hypothermia.

The bus slowly comes creaking and groaning towards the bus stop you were at. Thankful for the bus to have come just as you got to the bus stop, you climbed in. Sighing when the heat radiating from the heater in the bus begins to warm you up. You found a seat by the window as you like watching the sceneries float by, the sky getting painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night.

You weren't paying attention to the other inhabitants of the bus, instead choosing to look at your phone when a notification came up. While replying to your friend's odd messages of wanting to 'turn up', you saw two strangers on your peripheral vision. One was sitting down while the other was standing up, snapping pictures after pictures of the former. You thought it was weird and shrugged it off thinking, 'kids these days'. Albeit you were more or less the same age as them.

The guy sitting down however, caught you looking at them and quickly told the guy that was taking the pictures to 'knock it off' and that 'someone's watching'. Feeling like your cover has been blown, you quickly hid your face with the curtain that is your hair. With pink tinted cheeks, you continued texting your friend, not mentioning about the earlier incident as it is still fresh and you're still embarrassed.

As you were mulling over your thoughts, the stranger from before came next to you and sat beside you. To say you were shocked was an understatement. He seemed familiar, you thought. Where have I seen him before...

Your thoughts were in disarray with all that had happened prior to the meeting, you had failed to realise that the person next to you is Kim Namjoon. The Kim Namjoon. And when you realised who it was, safe to say that you had a heart attack.

"Would you care for some dried squid?" You heard his deep, mellifluous voice said.

"I-I.. what?" Was your ever-so-graceful reply.

"Dried squid?" He offered again, looking like an adorable puppy with a short sleeved black t-shit and a white hat.

"I.. yes sure," You shakily agreed, taking some dried squid from the bag that his outstretched hand was holding.

While munching on the dried squid, Namjoon suddenly said something that made you choke, "Why is it called nail polish if the act of colouring your nails is called 'painting your nails'? Why not name it 'nail paint' instead?"

His question was so sudden, and just so random, you had to hold back the tears that was forming because a piece of dried squid you were chewing suddenly flew into your throat.

'I guess this was what they meant when they said Namjoon has an otherworldly brain...' You thought weakly.

"Well," you started after coughing up the dried delicacy. "Polish is also technically another word for paint. For someone who's known to have an IQ of 148, I can't believe you've forgone the thought that a word has synonyms." you joked.

"Oh..." was his meek reply, rubbing the back of his neck whilst looking at you sheepishly from under his eyelashes. "I've never really thought about it in that way."

You giggled at that, marvelling at the fact that he's just too cute and that how can someone be this adorable.

"So, where are you heading?" Namjoon asked with a beginning of a flush on his cheeks.

"I'm just heading home," was your reply. "But what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be, I don't know, on a world tour?" You inquired.

"Well yeah," he replied, seemingly breathless after he realised that you knew who he was. "But me, Taehyung," at the mention of his name, Taehyung suddenly started flapping his arms around as a way of greeting. "...and the rest of the guys and crew realised that we had a bit more time before our next concert so we decided to take a detour here, and what a great idea that was." He said, mumbling the last part to himself.

"Huh?" You asked, confused. "What did you mumbled just now?"

"N-Nothing, it's nothing." He said, trying to change the subject. You only narrowed his eyes at him but said nothing more.

"Alright then..." you said, unsure. But just as you said that the bus suddenly came to a stop.

"Oh, here's my stop," you said, albeit dejectedly. Sad at the fact that you're going to leave the source of your constant heart palpitations.

"O-oh," Namjoon said. And you thought he sounded a bit disappointed too but wrote it off as your imagination. "So this is it then?"

"Yeah..."

Before the bus pulls away, Namjoon hurriedly asked you to punch your number into his phone. You quickly did so, feeling the distress in your heart slowly melting away into hope.

"I'll call your, or text you, either way I'll contact you when I have time alright? You're a character and I'd love it if we could talk again." Namjoon smiled.

"Alright," was your response. Happy at the thought that maybe you'd see him again.

"See you," you said as you stepped down the bus. "See you," he replied, giving you a dimpled grin that you've always admired through pictures and videos. You swore your heart almost stopped. Your heart felt like it was strangling itself after seeing the breathtaking beauty that was Namjoon's smile.

You waved as the bus peeled off from the bus stop that was a few distance away from your apartment. Heart alight from delirious elation, you skipped all the way to your apartment.

A/N: Heyyyy ho! It's been months since I updated this book and I'm back with a bang! So like the story behind this and the reason why I decided to write again was because a mutual on mine on twitter. She persuaded me to write as - if I'm not mistaken - she thought that I could really write well. So I did. I wrote about halfway through of this fic for her. Sent her only the part until "I guess this was what they meant when they..." part. But yesterday I decided to continue it as I had deleted my twitter account and thought i should just give this story a try again.
Now the way I've structured the ending, I made it possible for a part 2 so if anyone's interested, I think I'll actually write a part 2. Anyway requests are still open so if anyone wants to request then feel free to!
Adios.

P.s. Isn't Namjoon just the cutest person alive? I love him.